Sign in to follow this  
Guest philstix

How do I extract airport info from BGL files?

Guest philstix

Hi,I'm trying to write a C++ program to use for flight planning, and I need the program to extract information from BGL files in FS2004 (and perhaps FSX).I've been searching for hours, and I've found a lot of comments indicating that many people know how to programmatically extract BGL information. There are several utilities that extract BGL information, so I know it's possible.Unfortunately, I can't find anything that says how to do it, or points to any BGL file format specifications, or source code examples.If anyone can point me to any useful information on how to read BGL files, I would greatly appreciate it.Phil

The reason such a program is hard to find/does not exist is probably the legality issues in reverse engineering scenery for FS.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

There is probably better information on Scenery Design forums, but.Microsoft's TrafficToolBox SDK has a traffictoolbox.dll which includes a function to extract basic data for all airports in FS (Designator, location, runways, parking, etc) from both default scenery files and addon scenery files.AFCAD2 by Lee Swordy extracts airport information necessary to edit the airport and airfield data.Winfried Orthmann has some files in the library on the BGL file structure and a utility to extract data into XML format.Also Alessandro Antonini has an FS2004 decompiler.Jon Masterson's tools work very well with FSX.I'd suggest you take your request to a group like www.fsdeveloper.com

WRT Antonini, his Super Flight Planner 3 has a side effect of dumping default data to delimited text files. Super Flight Planner 4 can also decode FSX data, but at this point lacks the database dump utility.scott s..