Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Jeppesen Sim Charts 4.0

Anyone has experience with the new Simcharts? I ordered last Saturday online and only got the confirmation mail, but shouldn't there be a mail with a download for the program as well? Looks like they're on holidays...Happy new year!Andreas

It might be a little bit off topic, but my problem with the SimCharts is that they don't match up with the Navdata from Navigraph for the heavy add-ons (like PMDG, Wilco), which makes them a little bit obsolete for serious flight planning. Of course, they're great, if the FMS or GPS data matches the date of the SimCharts, but I believe that's only the case for the default aircraft.Pat

>It might be a little bit off topic, but my problem with the>SimCharts is that they don't match up with the Navdata from>Navigraph for the heavy add-ons (like PMDG, Wilco), which>makes them a little bit obsolete for serious flight planning.>Of course, they're great, if the FMS or GPS data matches the>date of the SimCharts, but I believe that's only the case for>the default aircraft.>>PatI don't think it is a realistic expectation to have everything match up in flight sim. Any kind of sim plates is going to be a snapshot in time of the plates available when they put the product together. While the navdata used in the FMCs of some of the addon aircraft get updated every so often, they are going to move past the data in the sim plates. Even if you use constantly updated charts, you will have discrepencies since that will require your FMC data to be updated at the same rate as well. Another problem, when you constantly update your FMC and chart navdata, is that you can move past the navdata that is available in the flightplanner in MSFS or whatever program you use to make flightplans. The only way to create a seamless match of data is if you update the MSFS flightplanner, the aircraft FMC and the charts all with the same data at the same time.

Exactly. That's why I would really like to see a unified and static Navdata database with corresponding charts, but it isn't available. If either the FMS data or the charts don't match up, both by itself are kinda useless for flying. The problem is that Navigraph doesn't even offer the cycle that is being used by SimCharts. Noone expects to fly with the most current Navdata and plates, not even r/l PICs have all those plates available. But at least the idea to lock down the plates and Navdata to one cycle would definitely help.Many times, I have flown with recent Navdata, only to find that that SID/STARs have changed and without matching paper plates, it's just not realistic (and almost impossible) to fly a correct approach.Pat

>>I don't think it is a realistic expectation to have everything match up in flight sim.<< I think it is. We are talking about Jeppesen here.Of course they can update their simcharts every month if they like.A while ago I also ordered the Simcharts 4.0 only to find out that they are in sync with the original FSX navdata base.My fault, because I had not read the disclaimers and such.Companies like Navigraph provide (near to) current data. I wish Jepp would do the same.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I am sure that Jeppesen could make the plates available, but I think that there is a most likely a bunch of legal and commercial issues that need to be addressed. People are stupid and I am sure that some weekend flyer might think that he's smart to use charts and plates for their real-life piloting, despite the warnings on the site and package. If word spreads that people might think that this is an inexpensive way to obtain current charts.The problem is somehow that the chart providers, much like the record industry has missed the digital age completely. I don't even know where to look for digital plates from a country, like Italy or Germany. Of course, all US plates are freely and digitally available, but Jeppesen still thinks in terms of revenue for paper plates, which is really unfortunate. Everything is digitized anyway, so why not make plates from previous cycleS available for free (or a small fee) for flightsimming?Pat

>>>I don't think it is a realistic expectation to have>everything match up in flight sim.<< >>I think it is. We are talking about Jeppesen here.>>Of course they can update their simcharts every month if they>like.>A while ago I also ordered the Simcharts 4.0 only to find out>that they are in sync with the original FSX navdata base.>My fault, because I had not read the disclaimers and such.>>Companies like Navigraph provide (near to) current data. I>wish Jepp would do the same.>>Having the most up to date charts and database in your FMC will do you no good if you can't include the fixes and procedures in the MSFS IFR flightplan. What they did by synching their charts to the original FS navdata base was so that you can file a flightplan that matches your charts.The smart thing to do is to either synch the three parts (FS flightplan database, FMC database, and charts) together and then either leave it alone forever or ensure that all three are updated together. Otherwise, only updating one piece at a time at different times will always lead to disconformities.

Good point. I always use FS Build with a matching Navdata. Of course, the FS-internal flight planner will do you no good as it's Navdata is static and cannot be updated.As a workaround, you can import the FS Build flightplan into FS and into the FMS and, voila, everything is in sync. The last step is just to get the paper plates and that's usually the big problem, at least for me.Pat

>Of course, all US plates are freely and digitally availableSo are those of Europe (incl Italy, Germany ,etc) via Eurocontrol

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I make the flightplans with FSBuild as well, importing into MSFS. This gets around the very old database in MSFS. The database sets I have in the FMCs of the various FMC equipped aircraft I play with are pretty much from the same time period as the one in FSBuild (Airac 0704, I believe). The charts I use are either my own current real world jepps and Simplates X for those airports which I do not have in my jepps. Of course, I also have lots of addon scenery where many airports have new runways and procedures. This is not much of a problem since for the immediate departure and arrival phase, the flightplan does not really matter. What matters at those points is having an appropriate chart and approach procedure in FS ATC (one of Jim Vile's approach files). I've found that Simplates X uses some pretty old data and is well behind the data in FSBuild and the FMCs. As long as FSBuild and the FMCs can be updated fairly often, the real world charts don't go too far out ahead. But I do wish Simplates X would update their charts. Seamlessness is not possible unless all these things are all updated together, but so far, with the updates that are floating around out there, and the charts available to me, the situation is workable. To me, being as up to date as possible with the current real world data is not nearly as important as just having consistency within the FS world.