Sign in to follow this  
Guest majhankee

This is annoying...

Guest majhankee

What's wrong with my approach to Juliana Airport? I set up a VOR approach to Runway 9 and I get aligned with the runway and everything and on the airplane panels and GPS, it shows that I'm perfectly aligned with the runway, when, in fact I am 200 feet to the right of the runway at the end. Then, I have to bank the plane left only 1 nm from the runway and do a dramatic landing that usually ends with me skidding off the runway. Why does it show that I'm lined up even though I'm not? These VOR approaches work in all the other airports :(

Guest Reed203

Seems that the VOR is offset to the runway centerline. This is usually the case on most VOR approaches. Manual corrections are necessary to maintain the runway centerline. Once you have the runway in site, disregard the VOR indicator in this case and line up to the runway. No need to do it so close if you already have the airport in site because your only making it harder for yourself:)

Dual afcads?orIs it the default GPS? I had a similar problem hot swapping the realityXP gps databases.

Guest vrandar

If it happens at all airports that you are lined up just slightly wrong then it could be your magnetic declination file that needs updating. The replacement magdec file (magdec2005.zip)is available in the avsim library.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Can you link this issue with the one raised in 'Loss of magnetic declination'?I would be glad many people have the same problem. would help solving.RegardsGhiom

If you're actually flying the VOR/DME RWY 9 approach, then you SHOULD be south of the runway. The VOR is located adjacent to the threshold of rwy 9, but is probably 200 ft south, so when you fly the inbound course of 096 degs, you will indeed be south of the runway.This is EXACTLY what is supposed to happen per the approach plate.The missed approach point is 1.9 miles from the threshold and at 600 ft MSL, so at this point you should be flying the aircraft manually to align on the runway centerline.VORs are NOT a precision approach like an ILS.James

Guest majhankee

okay thanks but at some airports like Kathmandu Intl, the VOR is actually aligned with the runway centerline...weird.

Guest bstolle

>but at some airports like Kathmandu Intl, the VOR is actually aligned with the runway centerline...weird. It's not weird. As this is a NON-precision approach, even a VOR placed along the runway centerline does not neccessarily lead you precisely over the threshold. For this, a VOR is too coarse.Furthermore the sensitivity of the HSI during an ILS approach is much higher than during a VOR approach. Hence the indication accuracy is much lower during a VOR approach. That's why the minimums are much higher and further away from the runway than for an ILS approach.One more point.Keep in mind that (most of the time) it is NOT possible to savely maneuver and land when you arrive at the minimum altitude at the missed approach point during a non-precision approach.The missed approach point is defined to keep you clear of obstancles during a go around.For save maneuvering and the neccessary corrections you need to have visual contact with the approach lights or the runway considerable time before reaching the missed approach point.RegardsBerntCapt 767

I believe the ILS for TNCM was added and not a part of the original scenery. Check the Libraries for Queen Juliana addons and fixes.BillPS I was too fast on the trigger. The reply about the VOR approach was correct. My reply about the ILS stands.

As another poster mentioned before: VOR approaches are not precision approaches like ILS approaches. As PIC you always have to keep an eye outside of the window - if it doesn't look right, then it probably isn't right ;)As for the VOR, most VORs are placed either parallel, behind or in front of the runways. Sometimes they're not even in close vicinity to the runway, so you can't exclusively rely on the VOR, because obviously the tracking gets a lot more sensitive the closer you are to a VOR. If you blindly follow towards a VOR, then you'll end up AT the VOR and not ON the desired runway.Hope this helps! Good luck!!Pat

The approach plate I found online somewhere (sorry):- Had you coming in at an angle, I recall at the FF (final fix?, er last point on the chart, er) this had you lined up with the runway.- For the VOR approach you descended to certain levels at certain DME distances.- Seemed really well thought out.- I'm a n00b how doesn't know anything about real approaches.I found it to be a fun VOR approach I repeated a bunch.

It would be to long to thoroughly explain the approach, because it really depends on the airport and the approach. A VOR/DME approach can vary widely from airport to airport. For example the VOR/DME at KPHL doesn't even "guide" all the way to the runway, but only to the vicinity of the runway whereas some other airport has a more "easy" approach that lays out the entire procedure until touchdown.Here are some very good manuals directly from the FAA that are definitely worth reading:http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviatio...lying_handbook/(Instrument Flying Handbook)andhttp://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...ons/ATpubs/AIM/(Aeronautical Information Manual) Good luck!Pat