Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

What do you do with your flight time?

Happy New Year to all of you fellow simmers! I hope you all have a good 2008!I was wondering what you all do with your flight time? Do you have some special places you go? Are you investigating new things? Or are you just tweaking your system to make it the best possible? I am flying across the USA, a state by state journey. I have logged over 40 hours in the last two weeks, mostly IFR in a customized Lear 45. Sometimes I fly the PMDG Beech 1900D if the leg length is under 100 miles. I started at KSEA and am touching down in every state, up and down the map. I am currently at Cape Canaveral, FL. Today I plan on taking a J3 Cub VFR (weather permitting) to putt around and look at the launch site before I leave FL on my way to Savannah, GA.I use AS6 and I fly real time, day or night. Night flying is cool with all the lights off in the room. The family thinks I'm nuts...My Christmas present, a Dell XPS 420, is running FS9 like no other. It does 24 FPS with all sliders maxed out. Beautiful! FSX is installed and I have been tinkering with it, but it just can't do the 24 FPS with the detail I like. Take care, Dolph

Hey Dolph!I just signed up with DC-3 Airways VA, and also bought the MAAM sim DC-3 package. My flight time lately has been just doing the "intro" flights that are required, and I've been spending time setting up the DC-3 to work with both FS9 and FSX, which are both installed on my system. I also bought XPax from HiFi Simulations, and it has been fun using it as I completed the DC-3 Airways intro flights. Paul

Guest crotiusf16

I am flying with a 747 400SP SAA - Mike Stone development. I started at Seattle, and my 1st touch down was in New York. TJSJ is my next stop. Undecided as to where to go next with the old bird.

Hi:I am currently touring the VOZ scenery in Australia. Since I live on the east coast USA I can fly at night here and it is late morning on the east coast of Australia. I simulate renting aircraft on my tour. I am currently flying a Cherokee Six out of Wagga Wagga, NSW. The VOZ scenery is great. I hope to be finished by the end of the Australian summer.Happy Flying and Happy New YearAirbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Guest fullstoplanding

Hi Dolph,Welcome to Florida. At this time, though, you're probably in Savannah. While taking a look at the launch sites on the Space Center, did you "sneak" a landing on the 5,000 ft. runway at the Shuttle Landing Facility, SLF? It's one of the longest in the world. Prior to and through the first four shuttle launches, I was the assistant manager for operations there. It was X68 then, now it's KTTS. Happy New Year to you and yours...and all of the AVSIMMERS.--Roger

HeyaI am actually still in FL. Haven't taken the tour of the SLF yet. I will do as you suggested and sneak one. I'll watch my six though in case the FBI or CIA comes a shootin' at my Cubbie.I have had too many things going on today to mess with FS but tonight I'm going wild. I am looking for mesh for the eastern half of the US. I got the western half while it was free from FS Genesis and that was great. Now that I'm in the eastern half, that mesh does me no good.I also want to look into VOZ. I have heard about it for years it seems but until now, I just wasn't interested. But with my current system, the world is mine!dolph

Well, I had some time to play around the shuttle launch area a bit. I have the following observations:The Shuttle and the launch area is very, very nicely done. Crystal clear graphics and the area is made even better with the use of Landclass. Unfortunately the landclass file makes my Dell with 3GB of RAM get the dreaded OOM error and shuts down after about 5 minutes. Why this is so I don't know yet. FSX shuttle and launch area are really no better than FS9's. However, I don't have much patience for 7 FPS so I didn't diddle with it much. The Bell helicopter is fun as heck to fly and I am going to use it more often for my local excursions! I don't think I would like to try to fly it on realistic settings though. I set mine down to easy for the chopper and it is still tweaky but flyable, and landable!Onwards and forwards...

I've done the around the US border Flight. Boring for the most part because the southwest US and Canadian border areas are pretty bleak. I found myself drifting over the border just to hear ATC ask me to switch frequencies. Couldn't wait for that flight to end, even though it was a simulated flight. I think there's a Law somewhere that says we must finish what we start. I've tried every airport in Florida that a Beech 200 can land without over shooting the runway. Why? You ask! because I have Freeflow Florida, along with every Florida scenery I can dig out of the libraries. As you can gather, I'm an Eye candy freak. I'll leave flying the Heavies along with the Sids and Stars to the Guys who get off on that stuff. Flight simulator has something for all kinds of Pilots. I've also done the around the Caribbean in a clockwise direction. Because I use Ultimate Trafic for AI, I find all sorts of aircraft that need Liveries added and airports that need scenery and AFCADs. I've added Mesh and Landclass to The Caribbean and can now even tell you where the Windward and the Leeward Islands begin and end. I notice a lot of new sceneries being added to the library fom Centeral America. I think I try this circumnavigaton again, only this time counter clockwise. I'll try to make a nonstop flight over Venezuela so I don't have to reward that Jerk with my US dollars for his Gas. This will give me a chance to see the ABC Islands and see what Airports and Aircraft are in the Library for them. The adventure never stops.Old Bill :-halo

I created a little program that generates random flights using runway restrictions and flight distances, i.e. what does the plane I want to use need.I quit for a year or so because of the FSX fiasco. Finally I got back into FS9. The Tinmouse has been my favorite right now.I even made a derate file for it!!!Every night is a new flight!

Two things:First, I try to fly as many of the free- and payware planes that I have, so I'll fly whatever takes my fancy at the time. Right now, I'm really enjoying the freeware SCS Tu-134. I like flying Russian aircraft--so detailed, so different from Boeing and Airbus. I also fly the Project Tupolev Tu-154M and Tu-154b2. I fly these planes in their countries of origin, so right now, I'm flying around Russia, former Communist countries, and the CIS, wherever the Tu-134 might fly.Second, I am flying around my home province, British Columbia, in my payware GA aircraft. I started off in Vancouver, flew to Victoria, and am currently making my way north on Vancouver Island. Once I reach the northern tip (at the airport at Port Hardy or thereabouts), I'll head back to the mainland and continue my trek to central and northern BC.By the way, I keep track of my flight time through my membership to the Virtual Pilots Association, a VA found here .

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I have to pat myself on the back for asking this question on this excellent website. It is giving me ideas on what to try next. I've almost forgotten my quest to visit all 50 states...Keep em coming, y'all. This is good stuff. I am taking notes so I don't have to dig up this message once it has lived it's life and is way at the bottom of the pile when I get bored with FS9 again. That might be a while now. I have already started to delve into the world of OZ (VOZ). I have also stumbled upon what was right under my thumb all along, an exciting Bell helicopter to learn to fly. I've added another fs9.cfg to my collection to reverse the throttle so the collective is more realistic and it is much more intuitive. I can actually put it down on a spot of my choosing with realism set to "hard" and that, my friends, is not easy to an old f**t like me. I couldn't do it without this CH system I don't think. Going to visit Hovercontrol.com to satisfy my hunger for a better model next.I'm sorry if this seems to be like some sort of blog... Hope it's interesting to you all as it is to me! Where else can I find such stimulation? Wait, don't answer that...Dolph