Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Problem with Short Final Approach - 4R, FlyTampa KBOS

Lately, I'm crashing almost every time I land 4R at Fly Tampa's excellent KBOS. First, it looks like ILS is bringing me in just a little too far left of the centerline, and when I take my POSKY 737-900 off Auto approach to compensate, at about 50 feet above AND 300 feet out from the runway threshold the nose dives very suddenly, as though I've hit an invisible wire strung across the end of the runway. If I let the ILS take me in all the way over the runway, I set down OK but then I inexplicably crash, with no idea why except that MAYBE I slipped off the edge of the pavement.I looked at the AFCAD and everything looks fine, but I'm afraid I'm not experienced at troubleshooting the fine details of AFCADs. I did a search, but didnt come up with anything about this. Has this happened to anybody else? Does anybody have any idea what may be wrong -- other than my flying incompetence? :-)Thank you for any insight!Chuck B.

Guest Reed203

Might be a problem with the POSKY 737. I flew the same approach with the Feelthere ERJ 145 and didnt have a problem. I handflew the whole thing with the flight director in approach mode and the plane and flight director didnt experience any weird movements. I will try it again tonight on autopilot for you and see if I can reproduce what your going through. By the way, what version of KBOS are you using and is it the AFCAD that came with the download? (I have KBOS 2.1)

Thanks! It's KBOS v 2.1, and I just tried a different AFCAD than the one that came with it.I just flew the ERJ, too, and didn't have a problem. Hmmmmm.Chuck

Guest Reed203

No problem! Did you try the ERJ with the stock AFCAD that came with the download too? Because if you used the ERJ with the new AFCAD and the POSKY with the old one, there really isnt a way to tell whats causing your problem. I am on an arrival to KMIA right now but in a few minutes, Il see what i can do over in Boston to help you out.

No, but I did try the POSKY 737-900 with the _NEW_ AFCAD and all was OK -- but why would I just have a problem only with the POSKY 900 and not the ERJ on the original AFCAD, and why all of a sudden? (That's more a rhetorical question than anything.)Too many bleepin' add-on, I'll bet!Chuck

Guest Reed203

I just did an ILS 4R with the ERJ and the stock AFCAD with KBOS 2.1 and everything was cool. I disconnected the AP at 200 ft. I think alot of addons go screwy if you try and disconect the AP too low unless they are very fine tuned in this area (Level D, PMDG) or if you are keeping the AP on for autoland (POSKY doesnt have autoland). In the real world, 200 ft is that magic number for disconnecting the AP on most planes if on a coupled approach. Also could have been wake turbulence or windshear if you were using activesky although im not sure if AS simulates the latter. Glad that things are fine now though!

I hadn't even thought of "too low"! But I think it has to do more with either the plane or the old AFCAD -- I'm not sure why, just a feeling I have.Thanks for your input -- I'll let you know what my further research discovers.Thanks again for all your time.Chuck

Guest Reed203

No problem! Glad to help out!