Sign in to follow this  
Brian Doney

9Dragons - util.dll crash on exit or airfield switch

Anyone else had any crashes that resemble what I describe in the title ?I did a little searching, and found this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThis sounds almost identical to what I am seeing. Could it potentially have something to do with the hardened areas/spotting locations ?If Clutch or someone else could speak up with the specific filenames, I'd be happy to test.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Read thru the very large thread regarding 9Dragons.If I remember correctly, someone else was having this problem and it turned out to be that he had missed a critical step in the installation.Perhaps that is what is happening in your case.

David,Thanks for the reply.I have looked at the thread you mention, and have retraced the installation steps a few times now. I guess the most notable difference between what I am seeing and what the poster in the mentioned thread saw, is that the scenery itself is displaying just fine here, and looks outstanding.The only non-standard part of my installation is that I have not removed Thomas K's VHHH2005. To be honest, while I appreciate the efforts of the 9D team, if VHHH2005 is the problem, and I have to choose between one or the other, then it will be VHHH2005 that remains. The crashes are not happening on every exit. They seem to be more common when selecting VHHX at start-up, and then exiting from there. Or, if selecting VHHX at start-up and moving to VHHH via the menu, the crash happens on the switch, and even then, not every time.I guess, as crashes go, this one at least does so in a way that wouldn't affect a normal flight, at least so far. I just often fly long haul in and out of the HKG area for CPA Virtual, and am very cautious about issues like this, as nothing can be more frustrating at the end of a 14 hour flight than the Tell Microsoft screen.I was just hoping that the hardened viewing surfaces were indeed the culprit, and that if they could be removed, I wouldn't have to worry about it.EDIT: For anyone else that is also trying to use both sceneries, be sure to disable TK's included landclass, to avoid issues with water, etc. Also, the old Hong Kong 2004 scenery that added in all the autogen high rises is not compatible, and will cause a crash issue of it's own.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest JTEK99

>EDIT: For anyone else that is also trying to use both>sceneries, be sure to disable TK's included landclass, to>avoid issues with water, etc. Also, the old Hong Kong 2004>scenery that added in all the autogen high rises is not>compatible, and will cause a crash issue of it's own.Hmmm... exactly what I was inquiring about in another thread. Does the standard uninstall routine for HK2004 actually remove everything it's supposed to? Or is there something else I will have to manually remove before installing 9Dragons?I've had HK2004 installed for ages.

Brian, I am sure your issue revolves around the fact you did not remove your VHHH scenery. Great scenery Thomas made there. Just a no go with 9D. You will need to remove 9D to keep your VHHH running smoothly. Ah, too bad we couldn't convert ya ;)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

"Does the standard uninstall routine for HK2004 actually remove everything it's supposed to? Or is there something else I will have to manually remove before installing 9Dragons?"I'm not entirely sure, as all I have done is to deactivate the Hong Kong 2004.bgl for preliminary testing. With it active, I was getting an intermittent terrain.dll crash as soon as I attempted to load VHHX with 9Dragons installed. Deactivating it resolved this particular problem for me.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest JTEK99

Brian:Roger that. Much obliged for the info. I'll see how it goes with an uninstall and check for that BGL file.

Clutch, Thanks for the reply. While unfortunate, it is certainly understandable, and I thank you for letting me know."Ah, too bad we couldn't convert ya ;)"It really has more to do with the fact that Kai Tak cannot support the traffic levels seen by todays Chek Lap Kok (especially in FS), than any real preference for CLK. I have used Jim Vile's version of Kai Tak for some time, along side TK's CLK, and will continue to do so. With traffic split between them, I can run CPA and HDA traffic at maximum without overloading either airfield. I do still appreciate your efforts, even if I choose not to use the scenery. You guys really did do an amazing job.Is there any potential to at least restore the default CLK for use ? That might be something I'd consider, if possible.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest macman4

Now I have a different problem. First off the scenery is out of this world. The problem I have is that I can not load some payware aircraft without crashing. I have no problem with default aircraft, but once i load ie: PMDG 737 or Eaglesoft CitationX, FS9 crashes. It doesn't matter what airport i load these aircraft it still crashes. I think I will start over and reinstall.

Hi,First off, mega thanks to all involved with this package. Outstanding work!I have this util.dll crash. It occurs when I change to a different location using the menus or exit the sim. I am 100% sure I have installed everything correctly, having done it twice just to be sure.No biggie - just would be nice to know what is causing it.Jonathan

Guest DenhamPPL

Fantastic scenery and framerates are superb. 20fps+ all the time even on dense. Payware scenery designers should install this scenery and weep (or at least give you a job Clutch!).I also have the "util.dll" causing a crash when I try and exit FS2004. Other than that it all seems to work smoothly.I have tried to modify a copy of my default AI traffic file but due to the size of the file it took ages to go through changing VHHH to VHHX using "replace all" and then notepad crashed. I'll try the same again today so I can get some aircraft at the VHHX gates.Thanks again for all your time and effort. It was well worth it.RegardsAdam

Instead of using notepad to edit the large AI files, consider using the wordpad. It's much faster.AMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Guest DenhamPPL

>Instead of using notepad to edit the large AI files, consider>using the wordpad. It's much faster.>>>AMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS>2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH>FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2Yes just realised that about an hour ago and it took about 30 seconds to replace everything! Thanks for the tip - I now have a very busy Kai Tak!

Guest simonmd

With regards to installation, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RENAMED OR MOVED THE REQUIRED DEFAULT FILES! Sorry for the caps but I can't stress this enough. Go through the installation again and make sure that,C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryVehiclesscenery'vehicles.bgl' has been renamed 'vehicles.BAK' or similar so that the new file, 'Vehicles-9D.bgl' can work.Next, goto C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Sceneryasiasceneryand ensure that 'HP978230.bgl' and 'HP978240.bgl' have been renamed 'HP978230.OLD' or '.BAK', etc. so that the 9D files 'HP978230-9D.bgl' and 'HP978240-9D.bgl' can work as well. If you don't, the sim WILL crash!By default, the 9Dragons scenery and Thomas Kwong's VHHH scenery ARE NOT compatible. This is due to the fact that both sceneries overlap each other.However, there is a workaround if you wish to have both running at the same time, full details here;http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=35432&page=-----------------------------------Flying Tigers Group pilot and 9Dragons Beta tester, Simon Dove9dlandedani.gif

Guest macman4

All's good for me. reinstalled everything. working great. Bob