Sign in to follow this  
Brian Doney

9Dragons - util.dll crash on exit or airfield switch

Guest simonmd

That's great to hear Bob, enjoy!

Well, I think I have found the file that is causing the crash, at least on my install.Addon Scenery/9Dragons/scenery/Kowloon_Top_Flatten_LWM2.BGLDisabling this file has resulted in no crashes in the situations I describe in my OP, however; it also results in some deformation of the checkerboard hill.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hi,first of all, a big THANK YOU for the wonderful Kai Tak scenery!! :)It is working, but I am getting util.dll crashes as well on exit. That is with the PMDG aircraft, with the rest, FS9.exe remains active once I get to desktop and I have to kill the process. The only thing that I did differently is that I didn't install 9D to Addon Scenery, but to a folder where I usually keep my scenery. But that should not affect anything. What I did:1. Uninstalled Kai Tak 98 completely (and VHHH even before that). No traces remain2. Checked and re-checked and then checked again for correct installation. All files are where they are supposed to be, No. of files correct. Renamed everything according to instructions.3. I have no other modified files in Scenery/Asia/Scenery4. I have a few additional files in Scenery/Generic/Scenery. Removed them, FS still crashing.5. Deleted everything in scenery.cfg except 9D and AES.6. Tried with no traffic, also deleted my traffic.bgl (which is by now quite big, 93Mb.)7. No duplicate AFCADS.8. Removed ALL Afcad files from Addon scenery/Scenery9. My /Modules folder is clean, I copy required .dll's there only when required -- I have a few .bat files to do that and then start FS.After all this, FS9 still won't exit properly. Now I am at a loss what else to do... Maybe there is another modified file somewhere in Scenery/World/xxxxx folders that is making problems, I do not know. I do have quite a few add-on sceneries but my FS installation is fairly clean, I know where everything is. Or at least I hope so, LOL.If you guys have any ideas what could be causing this, I would be grateful. It's not a biggie, actually, but kind of annoying. Yesterday, I had four instances of FS9.exe in memory and only noticed that when I tried to install an updated recorder.dll to the /Modules folder and it wouldn't let me, of course. Regards,Jure

Have you tried disabling the file I name in the post directly above your last ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

Brian,just noticed your post when I finally managed to post mine (lost internet connection while I was typing).I tried disabling the file, but fs9.exe still won't exit.Regards,Jure

I think you are dealing with more than one issue then, to be honest.To test the util.dll crash specifically, load up VHHX with the file enabled, and try to switch via the menu, to VHHH. You should get the Loading screen, but it shouldn't make it past 0% before crashing. Disabling the file, you should be able to switch back and forth without issue.I also no longer get the crash while exiting. I wish I could be of more help with the FS9 process issue you are having, but I am not seeing that here, with or without the file I mention enabled.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I had similar load & crash problems, Removed 2 files from Autogen folder Kowloon_east & Kowloon_west. Working OK now with VHHH installed.

Paul EGLD

Brian,now I feel stupid! Found the culprit...I haven't made a flight yet and somehow, I forgot to plug in my Saitek yoke and pull out the darn Logitech wheel! I have joystick(s) deactivated within FS, because I do all calibrating and assignments within FSUIPC, so I didn't really pay attention.Sorry for cluttering the forum with my stupidity. Bah... :(Thanks for trying to help! All is well now, even with PMDG and the said file active, I can exit FS just fine. Regards,Jure

Guest simonmd

Ah-HA! See, it's not ALWAYS the program's fault!!Thanks for posting that Jure, i'm sure there are others out there that have made a similar error.One thing I have noticed though, is that somtimes I will get the 'util.dll crash' when exiting FS9 BUT if I select 'End Flight' first from the menu and then exit FS9 from the main screen, FS9 exits normally.