Sign in to follow this  
Opa

9Dragons and AI test

If you are wondering if AI traffic will follow the "checkerboard" approach at the old Kai Tak - I am pleased to say that they do!I made a test set of flightplans this morning using default 737 and 747 aircraft. Out and backs from Kai Tak did NOT work - the aircraft flew into the mountains every time.When I set up flights from ZGSZ (about 20 minutes away) they performed beautifully. The 747 lands a bit to the left of the runway but what the hey - any landing you can walk away from is a good one!The 737 behaved a bit better.Note: I was using the default afcad which is already installed in the 9Dragons package.I watched from the ground, from a nearby highrise and best of all I used the free Traffic Toolbox utility to actually follow the aircraft from ZGSZ all the way to the approach and landing. Tip: If you use this utility, and are anxious to "get there", you can speed up the sim to 4X (R plus the + key twice) and then revert to normal speed (R plus the minus key twice) as the approach nears. Do NOT go beyond 4X or you will be dumped out of the spot view of Traffic Toolbox explorer.I am not sure who is more scared on such landings -- the pilot, the passengers or the folks who live or work in the adjacent buildings!For my money, watching traffic is almost as much fun as actually flying.

Guest simonmd

Indeed, this is one of the joys of KaiTak. We at 9D have Jim Vile to thank for making the impossible possible as he did with his original KaiTak 98, everyone said AI could not behave like this!! He also created the file for 9D's KaiTak approach.

Perhaps you or Jim can respond to this observation (NOT a complaint).In watching a variety of AI approach and land at Kai Tak, I note that most come in thru the two two blinking red "portals" and continue on to the curved lights etc. as I understand they should.Some, however, come in well to the left of the red blinking lights and start their turn before the curved lights. These aircraft do clear the buildings and make fairly decent landings.I am interested to know if this approach difference is caused by the FDE of the particular aircraft or perhaps the route the aircraft took to get to Kai Tak.Any thoughts?It is NOT a big deal - I am just curious.

Hi, Thank's again for the beautiful scenery:-) I have PAI trafic on the ramp,and performing takeoffs,But no landings. I closed and diverted all traffic from VHHH to VHHX.Is there not enough parking to cause this issue?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182913.jpg

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Bump

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Guest simonmd

I don't have PAI, I use my own custom traffic files so can't comment on that. However, I can say there are LOADS of parking. Read through the manual (download 1) and there is a pic of the AFCAD in there.

All my AI is PAI and they're all landing at VHHX. It does get a bit busy though :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Gavin,Could you show step by step how you got PAI traffic to operate correctly? Thank's in advance,Jim

>Gavin,Could you show step by step how you got PAI traffic to>operate correctly? Thank's in advance,JimJimI did exactly what it said to do on p36 of the 9 Dragons manual. Step by step - exactly. For the simple reason that I really don't know much about messing with AI. Please don't think I'm trying to be unhelpful or unfriendly, but that's honestly all I can recommend to you. If that doesn't work, then I'm lost. Hope it works for you - or if not, hope someone else can help.Best regards!

Gavin Barbara

Make sure you are working with the PAI traffic file (it has PAI as part of it's name) and not the default FS2004 traffic file.The steps on page 36 of the 9Dragons manual are based on the default FS2004 traffic file but the procedure is the same for any.

>>Make sure you are working with the PAI traffic file (it has>PAI as part of it's name) and not the default FS2004 traffic>file.>>The steps on page 36 of the 9Dragons manual are based on the>default FS2004 traffic file but the procedure is the same for>any.>>Yes, this is a very good point and I forgot to mention that. Well done that man!

Gavin Barbara

Guest macman4

Yes use the PAI traffic file. I don't have PAI, but have another AI traffic package. So I decompiled only my ai traffic file and made the changes, following the instructions on p.36. Another tip that I read somewhere is to use " wordpad " instead of "notepad" to open the files. Much faster. Good luck, Bob

Hi Opa,Jim mentionned this in the readme of his kaitak98:quoteIf you find that your AI Planes cannot turn to final properly and miss the runway then you need to contact the designer and have them tweak there FD's to FS9 standards. FS9 does have default IMC curved approaches called LDA's in the their database. Most FDE developers never test or tweak their Flight Dynamics for these type approaches but only design toward straight in approach/flair/touchdown/braking. The larger the AI Plane (Heavies) the more sensitive the plane is for aligning to centerline of the runway. I have tested many heavy type AI aircraft and find that most use the correct approach speed to execute the final turn properly to the runway centerline.unquotePeter

Guest flashwebb

HiWhere did you get the Traffic Toolbox utility???and my AI flight just fly into the mountin every timeany more ideas what i can do??peter

It is a SDK and a list of all SDK's available can be found at this at this site:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857Scroll down until you find the Traffic Toolbox label - the actual address to put in your browser is:http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2...x_sdk_setup.exeAfter downloading it, you can install it anywhere.Take the time to browse the documentation so you can see what all it can do. Then just put the traffictoolbox.dll into your Modules folder.It will create a new tab on the menu bar at the top of your FS screen when you are in windowed mode.