Sign in to follow this  
JonBuck

Is it possible to fly formation with an AI acft??

Just wondering if it is possible to fly in tight formation with an AI acft? I'm too new to FS to know whether this is even feasible, but it would be an interesting and challenging thing to do. So I'm asking. What I'm envisioning is a cross-country training flight with two military trainers like Stearmans, AT-6s or T-34s, where the lead is an AI which taxis out, takes off, climbs to a specified altitude, flys from fixed point to point, makes a straight-in letdown and landing and taxis to a parking spot. Your job is to fly as his No.2...all the way, and keep it tight. Tough enough to do in real life, but is it possible to do this in FS? Has anyone tried it? :-hmmm Jon B Can you even control an AI aircraft's airspeed? I know you really can't do it with AI trains in the Train Sim. They run effortlessly upgrade with no sweat and seem to have a mind of their own. What controls AI airspeed in FS?

Yes - many people do that all the time - but you need to stay a bit back from what would be a normal military formation.If you get too close the ATC will tell the AI aircraft to change course away from you.AI aircraft only fly when they are within 100 miles of your aircraft - so if you stay close they will actually fly the entire flight - with the same impact of winds as your aircraft.They fly by the flight dynamics for the aircraft, except they are a bit more powerful than a user aircraft of the same model.That is because AI aircraft have no fuel or cargo weight - they fly at the empty weight setting in the aircraft.cfg.I've flown EDDF-KDFW in the FS2004 default B777 keeping station within a mile or two of an AAL B777. Was a very interesting flight.I even managed to create a flight of five Connies from RJTT-RKSO and keep station with them.

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear that it's possible. I'll have to try it when I get more familiar and comfortable with FS. I'm still very new and just feeling my way around. How did you set the AI acft up? If you set this up for a flight in uncontrolled airspace can you avoid interference from ATC? How close can you actually get? I wasn't figuring on duplicating the Blue Angels super-tight formation style, but off the wing and within reasonably close proximity would do. Say 2-3 acft separation distance. Possible? Were the Connies in Vic, echelon or in-trail? How did you do that? I'd love to see five of them in an AI formation flyby. Wonder if it is possible? Does it make any difference if you are using a slow Stearman or F-15? Jon B

Guest FengZ

Sounds like the plugin "recorder" is perfect for you. It allows you to record your flight, and play it back as traffic. So take your T-33 or whatever plane you want, flight the route, and then just convert that flight to traffic. It's very easy to use and setup, and the price is free-ninety-nine!-feng

AS Feng says what you want is the Recorder Modulehttp://www.fs-recorder.net/