Sign in to follow this  

Georender

Just read "Bears" review of the Turbo Commander and seen the fantastic screen shots taken in Georender 3 and 4. Now I have a real problem - I want them! - But you have to be careful here that you don't spend all your income on the hobby!! Question: Which is the better Georender airfield for me to buy - 3 or 4?System is Pentium IV 2.8 with 1Gb RAM and 128Mb G4 graphics.KD

I just bought Georender 4 and it is fantastic! The satellite textures are wonderful! The river coursing through looks very realistic and the smoke textures rising from the chimneys are works of art. Now I want them from all smokestacks - expecially if they respond to wind. It's better on framerates than Georender 2 but the quality is similar between 3 and 4. I just happen to think Darrington makes for a more interesting place to fly. Personally I like having all 4 - although I use Bryce the least. Emma field is fun too but I thought it was a crime that they created a fictitious field when there are so many good real ones out there.David

Wow, I thought Emma was a real field. Now I feel like a world-class choad. Kudos to Lago, though... the deception was thorough.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Bill,It sure starts to feel real after using the scenery long enough but it does not appear on any sectional I've seen, nor is it in the AOPA database. The designator,KUUL (or something like that)was also a tip off. Obviously, we've seen that they can recreate real strips very well now so I hope they continue the trend. Don't get me wrong - Emma Field is very cool but I prefer the real strips for some reason. Not like I'm likely to ever fly in that area though.David

KD,I won't be able to help you decide between GeoRender 3 or 4, because I own GeoRender 4 and Emma Field; however, even on my low end system, (AMD 850 Duron, GeForce 2 MX 32MB, 256MB Ram, there is no significant impact on frame rates with GeoRender 4, so you should be laughing with your system.I just finished a VFR flight to Darrington from Emma Field and it was spectacular. The runway lighting at Darrington is very well done.

Each installment is a little more advanced again. Geo3 is very nice, featuring a bumpy runway (yes, indeed), hangars doors that open when you get near them, etc.Geo4 adds to that boggy ground (so you get stuck if you don't follow the taxiway), runway edgelights reflecting from wet grass, custom autogen trees and buildings.The position of Geo4 is more interesting, being nestled in mountains.Both are challenging (short and narrow, with obstacles) runways.Your system should take them all with no problem.For what it's worth I have the entire series (in fact all Richard's work) installed.