Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

FS9 loads up with wrong heading sometimes

Sometimes when I load FS9, my magnetic heading is way off what it should be (sometimes by as much as 90 degrees). It does not appear to be a panel problem, because I've verified it using Shift-Z.When I exit Flight Simulator and then immediately restart FS, the problem disappears.Has anyone else experienced this problem?I am running FS9 on Vista with: Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.93GHz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 8800 Ultra 768mb, 1tb HD.Cheers,Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Guest ha5mvo

Hi Bryan,This can be caused by a corrupt magdec.bgl, an addon scenery, mesh, aircraft even,magdec.bgl can be found on disk 3 in scenery/base/scenery or there's a more up to date version on avsim (search for magdec or magnetic variation).The thing I find strange, is that you say it's not consistent.Anyway, I would try replacing the file first. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid there's not a lot you could do other than disabling your recently installed sceneries one by one to try and find the culprit.

Thanks for the reply. I tried replacing the magdec file, but, sadly, there was no improvement. The alternative seems to be as you suggest. Until I find a weekend with some spare time, though, I think I will just load up, check if the problem is there, and reload if it is. It always works on the second go.Cheers,Bryn.

do you have KMAF installed (by Joe di Gregorio)I had it and it caused the same problem as you described until I uninstalled it...Try iy.Regards,Ghiom

Hi Ghiom, thank you for your suggestion.Unfortunately, I do not have KMAF installed - though it is interesting that you had a similar problem and resolved it by removing a scenery. Thanks again for your suggestion.Cheers,Bryn.

Guest ha5mvo

Bryan,Just curious - did you use any AFCAD programs or generate AI traffic files recently?

Hi, I use AFCAD quite regularly. I also regularly update Ultimate Traffic when I've downloaded new repaints.Cheers,Bryn.

Guest ha5mvo

Hi BrynI just recall this happening to me after either using AFCAD or TTools.I can find no regular pattern to it though and unlike your case it happens invariably once it does.Try looking for duplicate afcad files (there's a utility to do this) or disable the custom AFCAD folder if that's how it's arranged on your system ( I know UT shoves all its AFCADS in "addon scenery").This is nothing more than a shot in the dark, fut I would start from there...

HiYou know what, this morning I flew PDX-SFO with no problem.Shut down FS9 and launched it again.And the headings were wrong!!!And I had done no scenery/afcad change in the meantime and even recently...This is unbelievable...I thought I had found the problem (actually I have flown 3 days in a row without the issue...)If someone has a solution?Thank you and regards,Ghiom

Try to hit 'D' to correct Gyro Drift.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

I have had the same thing happen to me maybe 4 times since I have had FS9. I got it from Amazon before it hit stores. I see no rhyme or reason to it. It happens randomly, and sometimes I have to restart FS9 two or three times before it corrects. It can happen anywhere in the world, and won't happen for months at a time. I don't think it is correctable.

Where are you getting the heading data when you start FS9? If it is the GPS then that's a problem. A GPS (single antenna type, non diversity) CANNOT give a heading whatsoever until you start moving.Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest ha5mvo

also, check if the area.xxx entries in your scenery.cfg file are numbered in sequence. Try forcing FS to rebuild the scenery indexes.