Sign in to follow this  
Guest majhankee

I have a bit of difficulty flaring before landing because...

Guest majhankee

There's no way to tell how far I am above the runway so sometimes, I flare a bit too early and the plane starts ascending a bit. I know real planes have that computerized voice that goes "50...40...30...20..." SO is there any way to get that on FS2004? I never know my distance exactly before touchdown.

One aid my CFI gave during my real flight lessons was very helpful. He always had me focus at the far end of the runway when coming in for a landing. It became much easier to judge when to flare and it allowed me to make a much better landing. One other thing that's important is not to flare too suddenly, or with too much forward speed. If you start ascending during the flare you probably have too much forward speed and it's possible to ascend at any thrust or throttle setting. I've flown with a few CFI's and I have noted some had a different technique. Some prefer full stall landings with the stall horn beeping at you. Some prefer being a little above stall. Since winds can gust from nowhere sometimes in Arizona where I fly from, I prefer the latter.Always remember that depending on the aircraft, your visual cue for knowing how far you are above the runway will be different, based on cockpit height. Before taking off, practice getting familiar with the perspective of the runway by sighting down to the end of the runway--that's what you'll want to approximate during landing.There are a couple of gauges out there which will give you a digital readout of your height above ground level--these may also be a good aid for you.Regards,John

Guest majhankee

Ok...so look at the far end of the runway, thanks!

As the other fellow said, there are several "call out" files available here at Avsim and other sites. Most are quite easy to add to any aircraft.Also remember that hitting Shifted Enter will raise your eye level view in the cockpit - each time you do that it will raise a notch higher. Hit your space bar to return to your normal view.If for some reason the Shifted Enter command does not work for you, you can Assign it in Settings / Assignments. Look for the entry named Eyepoint (move up).Hope this helps.

As JohnCi mentioned, I also learned to look at the far end of the runway when I did my real flight training, Now I cant remember if It works on msfs cause to be honest with you, im so use to it that iots automatic now and dont really know what i look at when landing in MSFS.The only advice i can give other than putting some callouts in your a/c is to practice practice practice.Have fun and good luck wit your landings :)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Yeah, pretty much just practice. I wouldn't rely on calls except on larger aircraft that determine when to drop throttle. It's not that hard to get used to it without calls. You get gets used to it just based on memory for each aircraft's visual height out the window.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest ThrottleUp

Press the W key as you come in to land. This will temporarily remove the instrument panel leaving you with just the essential instruments. This will help you flare properly.Remember its actually harder to do on a computer because you are totally robbed of peripheral vision and a sense of motion. Flight is being simulated on this small rectangle in front of you sitting on a desk so it takes some getting used to as an armchair PC pilot :)

Did you modify your throttle on the ch yoke?Im always looking at ways to modify my ch yoke thats why im asking.P.S nice setup

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Yes-It's just a little hollowed out hardwood cap with setscrews to secure it to the CH throttle knob. A metal extension arm is screwed to it with two plastic sewing thread spools cross bolted as knobs. The extra 2 1/2" arm length makes quite small throttle adjustments very practical and the spool/knobs have a vague realism. The CH throttle knob is unchanged itself- except for a few marks from the setscrews!With the DreamFleet Baron, I can maintain +-100' altitude using throttle alone! (if I pay attention!)Another simple yoke upgrade is the Approach Plate clip board stuck to the centre with double sided tape. It's just a normal fibre clip board cut to size- painted flat black. VERY handy for IAPs and notes to yourself!Alex Reid

Alex, your system always amazes me.JimCYWG

Thanks for the info Alex, Maybe ill give my CH yoke a makeover :)

Amazes you?? Jim-think of how much it amazes ME each time I fire it up and go flying!! The poor little thing will soon be 5 years old! (nearly 8 for the CRTs)Ya gotta try it!Alex Reid

Guest fullstoplanding

I learned fly in tailwheel aircraft and the way I was taught was to look out of the side window when your begin to level off. When I began to fly the C 150s and 152s I still did it this way.In FS9 I fly the single engine planes. What I do is a sort of modified technique of the above. I'll look at a tree, a close by building, sometimes the windsock pole, and so forth, for height info prior to flare.Hope this helps.--Roger