Sign in to follow this  
DAL488

Out of Memory Error: Latest Experiences/Solutions

Over Christmas I purchased a new PC. Core 2, etc, etc, etc, with 2GB Ram.I had been using an older PC for a couple of years and had always had very good results with FS9 (very few crashes of any kind). I always use: PMDG747 or LDS767 or F1 ATR, FS2Crew, ActiveCamera, Ultimate Traffic at 85-90% or so plus some additional GA traffic. The only addon scenery I used was F1's Islands of the West Indies. I use WideFS, so the client PC runs AS6 Wx, AI Separation, FSCommander.So, I get the new PC, and install the exacty same addons. Nearly double the framrates.... very nice. Then I discover scenery called Ultimate Terrain USA and FSG Mesh/Landclass. And both are reasonably priced (in fact I got the entire world mesh from FSG for 29.95; yeah, 308m all the way to 9m). I immediately realized how awesome they made the US look. But then, BAM... OOM's whenever I use the PMDG747 (I haven't really tried the LDS767 or ATR yet).I reasearched the living heck out of the OOM errors, and realized I'm not alone. I have the 1.30 patch for UT USA. I have tried the /3GB switch (which worked ok with my 8800 GT 512 after adding the /Userva 2900). I tried reducing UT's settings to just minimal gotta have stuff: major roads and night lights. No dice, still OOM. Tried removing the unused .dll's from the modules folder. Searched multiple times for empty texture folders. Used the FlightSim Manager to ensure the AI aircraft were okay and the landclass was okay.At this point, I'm getting ready to try my "guaranteed to OOM" flight with UT completely shutoff. That will mean the only scenery I have installed is the entire FSG mesh and FSG US Landclass and the Islands of the West Indies. It'll be the PMDG747, FS2Crew, ActiveCamera, Ultimate Traffic. If it OOM's, I'm going to send MS a flaming bag of you-know-what.Questions:1. Is there any reason to suspect that the FSG Mesh or landclass is the cause of the OOM and not Ultimate Terrain? I really don't need 38m mesh and could back it off to 67m worldwide.2. I have not tried moving the HL*.bgl's completely out of the UTUSA folder even after the v1.30 patch.3. But my real question: for those that have succeeded in minimizing OOMs, what did you do?Thanks,James

A great majority of simmers suffer from this now and then, only on flights longer than two hours I find. I did a EGLL-KBOS on new years eve day and just as I was bringing her down over Bangor Maine I got the dreaded BOING, your system has run out of memory......I find some planes are more guilty of it than others (Coolsky MD-80 comes to mind).I think unless your running just stock stuff your going to get this problem.Or keep flight to around two hours or less......

I had the same problem after downloading FS Genesis' fsglc_us.bgl free landclass file. This file greatly enhances the surrounding area and covers the whole US. I thought, way cool, beautiful! Until BOOM, out of memory. So I tried FS9 again, same flight, same results. I then removed the file from the directory and no more OOM. So I went out and read FS Genesis forums for the answer and found it (so far).There can be NO empty "texture" directories except for YOUR_FS9_DIRECTORYAddon Scenerytexture. So I surfed my folders under Addon Scenery and found about 10 or so empty texture folders, including the one under where I installed this new landclass file, and deleted them. I then replaced the new landclass file and tried the same flight successfully. I haven't had a OOM crash since, that was yesterday. Try this and good luck.Dolph

Alstiff: yeah, I tend to agree. I think I'm going to shutoff UTUSA whenever I fly the complex a/c, and just call that good.Dolph: I cannot begin to tell you haw many times I've checked for empty texture folders.....Thanks for posting gents.James