Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

HNL - What an Approach!

I just completed a flight in my Citation X to PHNL, although it wasn't my best arrival. ATC cleared me to a Visual RW 22L approach, in marginal visibility with some fog and clouds. They got me down to 2000 and on base for RW 22, but I just missed the tops of the mountains. Once over them I spotted the airport off to the left in the distance, but I was still too high at 2000 to get down in time for 22 left. Any suggestions on how to make this approach and landing correctly? I tried it a few times slowing to approach speed (124) and still not a good landing. regards, Tom

I just flew in there from Alaska and now onto New Zealand. Try this link for SIDS and STARS http://www.airnav.com/airport/PHNL I normaly pay for my charts from Navigraph but they dont have charts for PHNL??RobJust had another look and think an app to Rwy 22L/R may not be allowed real world

Rob Prest

Tom, Rob is correct (I live right here in Honolulu). The typical approach and landing runway is 8L, the heavies parallel the south coast of Oahu and then turn right base over Barbers Point to catch the localizer, the interisland jets and turbo props usually turn base over Ewa Beach and line up for final just on the west side of Pearl Harbor. At night, the heavies usually use 4R (noise abatement) which takes you over the ocean and right over the threshold of the reef runway (8R which is used for heavy takeoffs in normal trade winds) for landing. When we have Kona winds (southerly or southwesterly), the reef runway is used for landing (LDA-DME 26L) to the west, and the approach takes you just south of the island and right along Waikiki for a short turn to final off Sand Island/Honolulu Harbor. We don't use the 22's for landing, at least not for anything but GA aircraft, far as I know, because of the rapidly rising mountains just north of Honolulu. Took me a while and quite a few flights to figure it all out...aloha

the current USA airport charts are free for download from the FAA -http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tppthe current PHNL page is here -http://www.naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp_search...Complete+SearchNOTE: the PHNL link will only be active until 17 jan. '08--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Before flying to any, but especially a complicated airport in MSFS, you really should go into AFCAD and make sure that the runway usage is set in a manner that eliminates highly undesireable runway assignments by ATC. Since the rules that the MSFS ATC goes by are very restrictive, you cannot expect to mimic real life runway usage, but you can at least get rid of the worst offending situations and have a smoother running airport (for the AI and you). For PHNL, I would set the runways so that you would allow 8L/26R for takeoff only, set 8R/26L for landing only and then close the 4/22s to keep them from being used. I would also download Jim Vile's active ILS file for PHNL that resets ATC to vector you and AI aircraft to make LDA approaches to 26L.

Guest DanWalloch

Make sure you've got the gear down, full flaps and might as well use the speed brakes/spoilers to dive down fast.. ;-)

I fly 100% on Vatsim now. I remember the days when I would blindly fly into certain airports at night with no charts and mountains around me while FS9 ATC would give me crazy Vectors and Land me on the wrong Runway. I've seen many AI aircraft vanish of my TCAS due this. Rob

Rob Prest

Guest bluesman666

Hi Can you tell me where to find the file by Jim VileThanksDave

Radar Contact 4.3 will rock your world!! RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

>Hi >Can you tell me where to find the file by Jim Vile>Thanks>DaveJust do a search on the author name in the file library. The filename is phnl_app_jv.zip

I have heard very good things about Radar Contact :) However I think nothing beats flying with real people and real ATC. It totally transformed FS for me. But thats the great thing about FS, we can use the sim however we want.BTW Bob Scott, I use to Fly with your PSS A340 FDE a few years back, very good work.Rob

Rob Prest

I have flown into PHNL 22L (as self-loading cargo). I think it is visual only. The approach was from over Kokohead CKH and then follows Kalanianaole Hwy / H-1 to the final. This was on the Molokai Shuttle (I think it was FAA certified as air taxi but got in trouble as it operated more like a scheduled service. It was about half the price of Island Air. It also operated from the Lagoon Dr side of the airport so you avoid the whole TSA crapola.)Only GA use this approach based on observation. The inter-island aircraft use 26R, and the larger aircraft use 26L. Both involve descending over the ocean along Waikiki and turning to final around Kalihi area.Take offs in this condition are GA and large aircraft on 22L. Inter-island on 26R. Occasionally an aircraft might take off on 26L, not obvious what the conditions are for that. I've haven't seen 22R used, but on occasion I have seen 4L used so I suppose it is possible.It is very seldom IRL that the winds require the airport operating in this direction.I have never seen aircraft cross the Koolaus to/from PHNL, but I guess there are several military wrecks up there so some have tried in the past.scott s..

Thanks for all the help and feedback guys. Kevin, that's a great suggestion to alter the runway patterns, but I have no idea where to begin. Could you give me some step by steps? Thanks. Tom

Kevin,I'm not that familiar with altering within FS. Could you give me some pointers or steps for altering the runway patterns, or tell me where I can find out? Thanks. tom

You need to download the AFCAD program by Lee Swordy that is here in the library. With that program, you can edit the properties of the runways and taxiways of each airport. From this program, you can restrict each runway to just takeoffs or just landings or keep the ATC from using the runway at all. One restriction of ATC to keep in mind is that it will only use runways of one direction at a time, no crossing runway operations. There is a workaround for that, but it is probably well beyond where you are at with the AFCAD usage at this point.