Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Frames Unlocked

Well, I'm glad we are all clear on that then.I'm beginning to see posts about TextureMaxLoad - this is most comprehensive I have found although it isn't the plainest piece of text I have ever seen.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=33608What it seems to be saying is that a high value for TextureMaxLoad is advantageous (i.e. somewhere higher than 3, but less or equal than 10).In order to do that, it seems one has to be conservative with TextureMaxLoad and LOCK your frame rates.I had some astronomical TextureMaxLoad (360 I think) which I had gone to because I have 3gb of RAM and I thought I could get away with it. I have dropped that to 120 and locked frames at 30FPS and I'm getting smoother running than I did before.I haven't inserted a TextureMaxLoad statement yet but it's a definite improvement as it is.I'm running an NVidia 7950GT with 512mb, drivers are 163.71. I have used NHancer to get 8xS combined anti-aliasing and 16x AF.That on on a Pentium 4 3.6ghz 800 FSB with 3gb of DDR2 RAM, which is hardly cutting edge. I'm running XP Home, GE Pro and UT.I fly almost only in the DA Cheyenne VC and in clear weather can average 25 to 30FPS in the air. A reasonable amount of AI on the ground puts me in the 20 to 25 FPS bracket, but bad ASV6 weather will drop me a bit on both those. That is the best I have got for a long time, if not ever.So, my recommendation - lock your frame rates and don't be too aggressive with the TextureMaxLoad!

ngxu_banner.png

HelloI would put the 6800GT backI have an Nvidia 8800GTS 320mb in the PCIe slot now on the ASrock 4Core-VSTA and it is running very nicely especially when there are lots of clouds around, which was the big problem i had with the X1950ProThere is less than 2% real world difference between PCi 4x and 16x in most benchmarks that I have seen.I too was worried about the PCIe only being 4X and put off getting a new card because of this, Turns out it works great.http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

Well both my my cards the old 6800GT and the "newer" ATI X1950Pro are AGP not PCI Express.Ill do a bit more tweaking and see what happens, before I install the Geforce 6800GTBill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

The part of my brain that does math clearly was not in gear or at least was awash in megapixels when I posted the previous. Should read: 1024x768x17(FPS)x3(monitors)=40.1 Megapixels per sec(MPS) being beamed to my eyes/brain! Not bad for a 5 year old sys.Take a moment and calc your real graphics output- Resolution x FPS x # of monitors. A good (not the only) measure of image quality.Alex Reid

Went back to the Geforce 6800GT, but the stutters are still there. Most of the flight is smooth, just sutters when I turn the plane in the air and on the ground during taxi. I dont meen 24-7 stutters on the sim, even with the ATI card. I do notice more pauses in the sim with the Geforce 6800GT since the ATI has double the memory. I think I might have to just live with the stutters. There really does not seem to be a cure out there for it. The only thing I have not replaced on my system would be the power supply and the HD.Thanks for all the help,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

>Hello Bill>I would be tempted to put the 6800GT back in>I moved from an ATI X850XT AGP to a X1950pro PCIe on that>ASrock mother board and found that the X850XT had better>performance in FS9.>I think that the 6800GT will give better results that the>X1950Pro>The X1950pro will do better in games that use shaders more.>http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpgMaddog, is there a way to disable the shaders for the X1950Pro and enable them for other games?Thanks,Bill

Guest almkennedy

>For me the most important thing is leave the FR counter display turned >off and just enjoy the scenery.>>R-Never a truer word spoken. Ever since I turned off the FR counter I've stopped obsessing about fps and just enjoy flying. I have mine set at 36, which is good enough to give me nice smooth flying with sharp textures at most times. I fly GA a/c only so sharp textures at low altitude are important to me.

Guest RonB49

>Is 1024x768 the optimal resolution for FS9?I'd say 1024x768 is the minimum for FS9. Optimal is in the eye of the beholder, usually. I say usually because some LCDs only work (or only work well) at their native resolution and some panels require a higher res than 1024 if you want to read the fine print.R-

I'm running an older computer with frame rates set at 20, 1280 X 1024, TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 & TEXTUREMAXLOAD=10. To sutters.Tom

Guest ledzzepplin

For me, I consistently get between 50-60 fps. To avoid a lot of higher spiking, I'm locked in at 70. It seems to work the best for me at the moment.