Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Circle to Land Approaches

I just tried to refly a flight to PHNL Honolulu to try a different approach than the one ATC wanted. They cleared me to a visual on RW 22 left which I find out is not only dangerous, but resticted from jets in the real world. So I opted to retry and select a different approach. I selected rw 4, and atc acknowledged, and as I neared the airport, Approach cleared me for the rw 4 approach and told me to maintain 2000 until established. Upon contacting tower, they clear me to land on rw 22, circle to land. Could someone please clear this up for me? How am I cleared to 2 different runways?? Thanks. Tom

Sounds right to me.You're cleared for the instrument approach to runway 4. When you pick up the runway visually you end the instrument approach, and continue visually, enter the pattern and circle around to land on runway 22.Its two separate clearances, one for the approach the other for the landing.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Changing the runway/approach is a two step process with the sim ATC. You need to select the approach and transition and request that, then ask for the new runway. However, if the winds/runway length aren't right ATC won't offer the new runway and the only option is circle to land.scott s..

OK, I think I got it now. The approach and the runway clearances are two separate clearances. I always took for granted the approach and runway to be the same since most of the time the approach to a certain runway is for That runway. Thanks for clearing that up guys. regards, Tom