Sign in to follow this  
JonBuck

Looking For Default Buildings. Where To Find Them?

There are a couple of hangar buildings at my default airport that I would like to use in adding scenery to another airport. They are a perfect match for the other airport. Can't see them listed or in thumbnail form when I use Instant Scenery and check off the Default and Add-On boxes to view objects. I open IS in the airport with the hangars in question, but can't see any of them. QUESTION: where are these "came with the program" structure/objects hiding? Can I get to them and add them to another airport? If so, how do I do that? Is it even possible, or am I limited to using add-on objects to flesh out the airport structures?? JonBAnother :-newbie

Did you 'tick' all available libraries (not only the the local ones and the custom libraries)When you make them all available you should have all default autogen/library objects available Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://kewlceo.com/forums/style_emoticons/...crazy_pilot.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Default airport buildings come in to typesScenery Objects and Generic BuildingsScenery Objects are complete models called by a GUID. Once you have the correct GUID, you can use XML code and BGLComp to create small scenery files and place them where you want.Generic Buildings are a bit different - and include most of the hangers you see across many airports.Those have to be defined in more detail - width, length, height, roof type and which textures to be used for each.The details are in the BGLComp SDK and how to create XML files to compile into scenery. BGL files.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857You'll have a lot of questions about how the various parts work - so you will probably want to spend some time on scenery design forums.There are freeware programs like Runway 12 and payware like EZ Scenery and Instant Scenery which might work for you more quickly.

Hi Rob: Thanks for the response. With Instant Scenery in FS9 under options, I unfortunately don't have an 'all available libraries' choice. The only choices are Default local library, Default global, Add-on local, Add-on global and one other, "libraries not in this area" which I can't make use of because they are airport & city specific. Any other place I can look?

Thanks Reggie: Sounds like it's way over my head right now : I'm just starting out learning how to do things in 2004. Believe I'd better stick to whatever add-ons are available. But...I can't even figure out how to place a tree on my home airport and have it appear when I open FS and select the airport. I can place the tree using Instant Scenery/Add Object, but I don't get the procedure to save it. Should be simple, but I don't get it...must be missing a simple step or something. Really frustrating.!!! :-(I find the tutorials short on step-by-step details. Still a lot of questions for this newbie to find answers to. Thanks for your advice. JonB

Try this -When IS asks if you want to add the objcet to ????? (whatever it may offer) say NO. That will bring up a box where you type in the name you wish to use - example: KSEA_Trees. I like to use the ICAO code as part of the name as well as what type of object I have added. Just makes it easier to locate later if I decide to edit the file.You can add as many objects as you wish to any IS created bgl - but I like to try to keep them in somewhat logical groupings.Unless you navigate to a different folder, it should save it as KSEA_Trees.bgl in your Addon scenery /scenery subfolder.Do NOT attempt to add objects to an existing bgl which was not created by IS - you will get an error message everytime.Hope this helps get you started.

XML? Forget that. Just search the Avsim library for the following scenery libraries...fs9_custom_buildings_ss_1.zipfs9_custom_buildings_ss_2.zipThese will give you many of the default buildings and you'll be able to place them anywhere you like using Instant Scenery. :-waveSidney Schwartz KPDX