Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Anyone use the F1 ATR72-500?

I've tried posting the same question on the ATR forums with no luck, so I figured I'd post here.For those of you who use the Flight1 ATR72-500, when route planning the FMC, I've noticed the only altitude constraints I get are those relating to STAR approaches. None of the other constraints automatically generate based on the navigational database as is suggested in the F1 ATR manual.Should these constraints next to the way points be there and I'm doing something wrong, or are you required to put those in by hand?

Guest wji

I've flown this type since the day it came out and have never bothered to program the FMC. After creating the FS9 IFR flightplan in the Flight Planner I simply Load it into the FMC, contact Departure ATC and follow FS9 ATC's instructions until everyone walks away.After loading the FS9 FlightPlan into the ATR-FMC, all the waypoints in the plan are in the FMC and ATC gives the filed-assigned altitudes. FS9 ATC does not direct aircraft to fly any STAR; it only gives the usual 90-degree then 30-degree intercept -- regardless of what's programed into the FMC.Having said all this about all that . . . I did add the default GPS500 to my ATR72-500 2D panel and it works quite well for many VFR and IFR operations. All the information on doing this was published by me at ATR Forum some four-or-five years ago.Fly Highhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183198.jpg

Don't think you have it wrong - never seen any myself except SID/STAR constraints - I think the manual refers only to these 'procedure' constraints as being automatic though. All others are 'pilot entered' I believe. regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

The main problem I have is I like to fly multiplayer A LOT and most of the time without any form of ATC. (I'm still nervous about using VATSIM amongst the virtual clouds after observing the ATC for a month)This usually means I have no ATC assigned altitudes and have to route plan all the way from start to finish.I guess I've been spoiled by the fact that the Feelthere/Wilco Legacy has the altitude constraints automagically assigned once you put in your flight level altitude during route planning. Sure would make things easier if the ATR72 had the same functionality in the FMC.As was mentioned, FS ATC doesn't fly SID/STAR flight paths.. so the realism isn't quite there. Especially if you consider using charts during planning approaches. Makes you wish you would fly mixed so you could call upon ATC for vectored approaches at the assigned waypoint of a STAR. *sigh*. While I'm dreaming, I'd also like a pony.

You don't need to enter altitude constraints unless you're using them for descent on a STAR or IAP. You are required to manually control the climb and descent on the ATR because you don't have a VNAV. The only VNAV is a visual representation on the EADI, which is the same place as the glideslope indication comes up. It works the same way as the G/S too. Keep it centered and you're on path. The FMC will tell you in the VNAV page how many -FPM you need. Basically, since you're responsible for the VANV operation, just as you would be in any turboprop or GA, the MCDU/FMC is not used for this purpose. If you enter the data correctly it will provide visual cues, but that's all. You enter the cruise (CRZ) altitude in the FMC to get the proper visual cues as well.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I've noticed with single player and altitude settings, you do get a VNAV page with TOD and TOC related data. My main concern is the TOD which is referenced as an AT on a specific waypoint. The FMC tells me where I should be at a specific waypoint, but does not give me the nifty TOD diamond familiar with the Legacy.All I really need is a descent start and I can handle the rest. As it is, I usually wind up having to dive because I'm too high at the start of my approach.

>The main problem I have is I like to fly multiplayer A LOT>and most of the time without any form of ATC. (I'm still>nervous about using VATSIM amongst the virtual clouds after>observing the ATC for a month)>>This usually means I have no ATC assigned altitudes and have>to route plan all the way from start to finish.>>I guess I've been spoiled by the fact that the Feelthere/Wilco>Legacy has the altitude constraints automagically assigned>once you put in your flight level altitude during route>planning. Sure would make things easier if the ATR72 had the>same functionality in the FMC.>>As was mentioned, FS ATC doesn't fly SID/STAR flight paths..>so the realism isn't quite there. Especially if you consider>using charts during planning approaches. Makes you wish you>would fly mixed so you could call upon ATC for vectored>approaches at the assigned waypoint of a STAR. *sigh*. While>I'm dreaming, I'd also like a pony.It's actually very simple, especially when without ATC. Enter the correct runway you want to land on and the FMC will provide the altitude you need to be at when hitting IAF or FAF. Simple arithmetic can tell you when to descend and all the variables you need, however, if you want to fly closer to a real-world profile, then use real-world IAP charts and go from there. Enter the waypoints along the IAP into the FMC with appropriate altitudes, and it's easy as pie.Say I'm flying to LAX and I want to land on runway 25R per ATIS information based on wind or whatever Wx data. I look at this chart: http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0713/00237IL25R.PDF and notice MUSIK is the first waypoint in the IAP that lines me up to the LOC. This is an IAF, or initial approach fix, and they can be anywhere on the approach, not just lined up to the runway. So, I enter MUSIK in the FMC's Legs page and remove any discos in the route. You can place MUSIK to the top and make your plane fly directly to it by using the line-select-keys to put MUSIK at the top and hit Exec. The plane will fly to MUSIK and tell what path to fly to get to 7000 feet by the time you hit MUSIK, as long as you enter 7000 in the constraint portion of the FMC on the Legs page. The line under the 7000 on the chart means "At or Above 7000", so that's where you should be. Very easy IMO.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>I've noticed with single player and altitude settings, you do>get a VNAV page with TOD and TOC related data. My main concern>is the TOD which is referenced as an AT on a specific>waypoint. The FMC tells me where I should be at a specific>waypoint, but does not give me the nifty TOD diamond familiar>with the Legacy.>>All I really need is a descent start and I can handle the>rest. As it is, I usually wind up having to dive because I'm>too high at the start of my approach.Look at my post above about using the IAP charts, and tell me if you understand. If not, I'll explain further. ;)

- Chris