Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Note Taking Plug In for FS9 Kneeboard?

Does anyone know of a way to use a text writing app such as NotePad for taking notes, without pausing FS? Maybe a knee board plug in or something? I want to write down my runway assignments, squawk codes, etc. using the keyboard while the controller is speaking, and using a pen and paper seems so . . . 20th century! :-)TIA.Chuck B.

Yeah, I hear ya' Rob . . . and that's what I've been using. But I'm not really "in the cockpit"; I'm sitting in front of a computer. :-lol Anybody else got any suggestions?Chuck

Howdy Chuck, do a search for "kneeboard utilities" in the library. It adds a bunch of internet capabilities and also a Notes page with a script that saves/recalls your notes to/from a local "cookie" in your cookie cache.Jim

I know, but mark my words you will experience that behind the PC and in a real cockpit you can't beat paper and pencil technology :)It depends of course if you use a multi PC/multi monitor setup. I always hate the switching between apps and views on one PC/monitor setup. Makes flying much more tiresome than in real life. Hence good ol low tech paper&pencil.Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://kewlceo.com/forums/style_emoticons/...crazy_pilot.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Thanks, Jim. I had done that, but originally didn't see what I was looking for.BTW, I also found FS Online Center 2007 by Steffen Froemter (AVSIM file name fsonlinecenter_v2sp1.zip) an app I had used before and reinstalled it. I never realized it but it had the note taking functionality I'd been looking for all along!So many add-ons -- so liitle time. :-scatter Thanks again, Jim.Chuck

>I know, but mark my words you will experience that behind the>PC and in a real cockpit you can't beat paper and pencil>technology :)>Thanks, Rob -- and I agree with you 100%. Technology can fail you, and we don't want that at thirty thousand feet! I do use multi-PCs, with WideFS on one and multi monitors on the FS machine, and what you point out is exactly why I was asking if any one knew of a better way. Check out the two suggestions made elsewhere in this thread, though -- I especially like FS Online Center -- you may be pleasantly surprised. You may even come over to "the dark side', and we might be able to save another tree or two!! :-jumpy BTW, I also own a Palm Treo smart phone with a high resolution screen. I keep my various (voluminous) flight sim manuals on it and read the from it while I'm 'flying', so that I don't have to waste paper and printer ink (it's very eco-friendly) for my hobby. It has the advantage of minimizing paper lying around my rig, too. The thumb-keyboard is a bit awkward to use when the controller in Radar Contact is speaking too fast as he is giving me my assignments. Otherwise, it's great, and no pencil and paper in sight. I suspect I would use it for real world flying in much the same way, hence my request for an e-app here. My smartphone is (more or less) my real world kneeboard.Thank you, my friend! your suggestions are always a big help!