Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTEK99

FSGenesis Mesh: Installing them all... Performance issues?

Guest JTEK99

I was going to post this at the FSG forums, but there's not that much action there. Thought I'd get some feedback from others that might be in the same situation.I was thinking of doing a full FS9 re-install just to get my sceneries and aircraft in a better order and discard the things I'm not using. However, I've been thinking of doing a FULL install of ALL the FSG mesh packages, including the "buffer" meshes.Let me preface this by saying that I've had them all installed before, albeit using the "standard" method of installation where all the FSG meshes are simply poured into a single scenery folder (/World/Scenery) I believe. Does anyone have any idea whether this hampers performance in any way? I'm thinking that running FS9 and ostensibly 'forcing' it to load all this mesh for the entire world might actually be hampering performance. I've also noted that some FSG users carefully install each package into "areas" or "regions", quite possibly to pick and choose which ones to use in the Scenery Library depending upon where they're flying.Even if you don't have FSG meshes, would anyone know whether having all this installed into a single folder might damage performance? A frame lost isn't any huge deal; but a few or more frames are precious in these cases. Any information someone might have on this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

I guess that would depend on system spec.I have all the FSG mesh as well as the Buffer.Installed with Ultimate Terrain USA Canada & Europe.Flight Enviroment,Ground Enviroment and have them all active.No Hit!So you should be fine.In regards to reinstalling everything to sort your scenery.I'm currently in the middle of sorting scenery but what I did was to backup the scnery.cfg.Pull off all the addon airports and just get it to the bare cfg.And then start building it back up from there.I have all my scenery in order of location and edited for easy edit.Hope this helps some Cheers

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Guest JTEK99

Clarke:Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, and seeing that you have similar items installed (All FSG mesh, UT series, etc.), do you have the FSG mesh(es) installed in different folders delineated by area as well? Or is it all in a single folder?

I have them in a separate folder with the UT Sandwich.So they can be moved up or down the scenery.cfg

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

What happens when you install FSGenesis normally? Or, how is the typical installation handeled per FSG directions?RH

I have FSGenesis installed in SceneryWorldScenery and have never had any issues with it.Remember, if you put the buffer mesh in regional folders, besure to remove the default buffer mesh from SceneryWorldScenery.That's a lot of manual work which the FSG install handles for you in the default folder.It really doesn't matter where the files are located, in which folders, it will not change the way FS reads the files, figures out which to use and uses them.Unless you are deactivating certain part of the world sceneries. i.e. - you are going to fly in North America, so you go into the Scenery Library, disable South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, Oceania, etc.. then restart FS.FS always reads every file in every active scenery folder when it starts. The scenery indexe caches - the scenery.dat files - are updated - and those are references FS uses to load scenery when your aircraft location is set.If you are flying in North America - the FSG buffer mesh and detail mesh in the rest of the world is no more active than the Paris or Tokyo scenery.

However from the FSaddon FS9 Tongass Fjord Manual you can read this statement:FS2004 has an unfortunate "bug" in that it reverses the display priority of terrain mesh of the same resolution (LOD). Thus, in order for FS to use the custom terrain mesh for Misty Fjords, Tongass Fjords, and Glacier Bay, you need to place any LOD10 mesh in a scenery library folder with its entry above our landscape entries.Some thirdparty terrain mesh files, like FS Genesis' products, are placed in SceneryWorldscenery by their autoinstallers.Thus, if you own the FSGenesis Cordillera LOD10 terrain mesh you need to set up a new scenery folder, say "mesh LOD10 North America FSG", create a "scenery" subfolder in it, move the following files from SceneryWorldscenery into it dem38m_can_104.bgl, dem38m_can_105.bgl,dem38m_can_114.bgl, dem38m_can_115.bgl and add that entry to the scenery library as shown in the screenshot. If you're using a LOD9 (76m) terrain mesh, like FS Global or MyWorld, then you don't necessarily need todo this.so I have all my FSGenesis 38m mesh in a seperate folder (FSGenesis 38m Terrain/Scenery and as a seprate entry in my scenery library all the way at the top. Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://kewlceo.com/forums/style_emoticons/...crazy_pilot.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Hi guys,Reggie's post is correct as long as the FS Genesis (or FSGlobal) mesh is the only add-on mesh you'll ever install in your FS9.If, however, you also install other terrain mesh or add-ons that include their own mesh (like Tongass or Glacier Bay v2) then you'll end up with overlapping mesh files in some areas and that's where the inverse display priority bug comes in, as explained in our Tongass manual.Cheers, Holger

>Hi guys,>>Reggie's post is correct as long as the FS Genesis (or>FSGlobal) mesh is the only add-on mesh you'll ever install in>your FS9.>>If, however, you also install other terrain mesh or add-ons>that include their own mesh (like Tongass or Glacier Bay v2)>then you'll end up with overlapping mesh files in some areas>and that's where the inverse display priority bug comes in, as>explained in our Tongass manual.>>Cheers, HolgerHi Holger,Just to be clear re: buffer mesh, please evaluate my setup.ScreenHunter_19Jan141727.jpgIs it OK to delete the buffer mesh and let it self-install to scenery>world>scenery?Or would you recommend I leave it like this, and if so what files should be deleted from scenery>world>scenery?As always, many thanks to you, sir, for your limitless support to the sim community.Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif