Sign in to follow this  
JonBuck

What Does FS2004 mean by "Active Folder" ??

What does this error message mean? "The FolderC;Program.....(FS2004)AddonSceneryscenery is not an active folder. With the current setting, Flight Simulator does not use scenery files from this folder. Are you sure to open a scenery file from this folder? "Just what is an 'active' folder, and what does current folder mean?Am trying to learn how to put scenery items onto an airport using Instant Scenery and when I try to Select an airport BGL file from the addonSceneryscenery folder, I get this 'no-can-do' mesage. Does it have anything to do with the fact that when I open FS and start a new flight, none of trees or bldgs I put on the airport with IS, show up? I'm really getting frustrated about now!! JonB

Your basic problem is that you are attempting to add objects via IS into an existing bgl which was not originally created by IS. That generates the error message you are seeing. When you first attempt to add an object, say NO to the filename which is offerred. That will bring up a box where you can enter a name of your choosing - example KSEA_Trees or KSEA_Vehicles. I like to use the name of the airport I am working on as part of the name and also what type of object I am adding - makes it easier to locate later on if I wish to edit what I have done.That same screen will allow you to navigate to any specific folder you want to place your new bgl in. Until such time as you get "organized", putting you newly created bgl into your Addon scenery / scenery subfolder should work.IS will then offer the last filename you created when you add another new object. Accept it or say no to create another bgl with a different name. You can add as many objects as you wish into any IS bgl - but as I said earlier, I like to break them into somewhat logical groups.The word "active" means that it is a scenery subfolder which has been activated in the FS scenery library dialogue. Normally the scenery entry named Addon scenery is active by default. Anytime you have added a new airport or scenery you have to activate it (add it to the library) in order for FS to index it and use it.A careful reading of the IS help file will probably answer most of your questions as you get acquainted with the program.Hope this helps get you started.

Thanks for the response David.I follow you through the part of saving to a new name. Made up a 'Test' scenery file with one tree added to my home airport. I.S. saved it to the Addon senery/ scenery subfolder as you said it would.Do you move it out of this folder somewhere, or do these kind of senery files remain in the Addon Scenery/scenery folder?Next, I opened FS, went to Settingsscenery. Can't see the file listed anwhere in the scenery library. Addon Scenery is there of course,and checked. So how do I 'activate' my 'test' bgl file? Regret having to ask such elementary questions, but the I.S. instructions arn't clear about this and I haven't stunbled upon the answer on my own yet. Must be missing something or perhaps making it more complicated in my mind than it is in reality.How does FS relate addon scenery bgl files to the basic (default) airport so the added trees, bldgs, etc show up when you select the airport? You mentioned that you create lots of scenery addon files for your airports for simplicity and ease of handling when you want/need to make changes. Sounds sensible. I think I should consider doing the same thing as I would like to add details to my local airports. Would you mind telling me how you have your FS files organized. Would be interested to know. Thanks again for the support and help. I'm learnig, but it's kinda slow on my part. JonB

It would probably be easier for me to help you via e-mail.Drop me one at o p a f l i g h t s i m a d d i c t @ v e r i z o n . n e tRemove the spaces of course.

Thanks David, I'll do that when we get back home later this evening. BTW I'm located in Baltimore so we're a couple of hours difference I think. ThanksJon