Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

What does WideFS actually do?

Guest Nealoc187

I've been searching for an answer to this question for the last couple of days now and I have yet to find a real explanation of what WideFS actually does, it's purpose, so to speak. I've searched forums and google, peter dowsons's webpage, etc. Can someone explain to me what the purpose of WideFS is?

It allows you to connect multiple pc's over a network for FS. I use it to run Active sky Squawkbox and a number of other programs.Rob

Rob Prest

HelloFrom the wideFS download page.WideFS Links FS utilities over a LAN, without needing to have a copy of FS on the second computer. Works with FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004. FSUIPC is required. June 1st 2007 (700 KB)Pretty clear, it lets you run FS utility programs (ActiveSky, Moving maps ect) that communicate with FS, on a second machine on the network thus freeing up resources on the FS machine.http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

Guest Nealoc187

>Hello>From the wideFS download page.>>WideFS Links FS utilities over a LAN, without needing to have>a copy of FS on the second computer. Works with FS98, FS2000,>FS2002 and FS2004. FSUIPC is required. June 1st 2007 (700 KB)>>Pretty clear, it lets you run FS utility programs (ActiveSky,>Moving maps ect) that communicate with FS, on a second machine>on the network thus freeing up resources on the FS machine.>>http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpgwonderful, thankyou. I read that quote which you quoted above but I was unsure if "fs utilities" encompassed programs like Activesky and RadarContact. I was hoping it did exactly that, and now I know that it does.

WideFS allows utilities to connect to FS over a network. I use Flightkeeper for instance on a second PC to log all my flights. You need to check that the utilities will actually work with a network connection (not all do). I am pretty sure that ActiveSky and Radar Contact can work that way.

Graeme Butler

Confirmed, they do. :)More, I have RC4 running on one machine via WideFS and ASv6.5 on another, again via WideFS. Regards,Jure