Sign in to follow this  
Guest 28right

9 Dragons VHHX Approach: Transition from ATC to Localizer?

Guest 28right

This scenery addon is just fantastic! I've wanted a good, frame-rate-friendly Kai Tak for a long time and this is it! My only wish is that there was a smoother transition between ATC and getting established on the localizer for the RWY 13 approach. If I follow ATC, I seem to get locked on the wrong localizer (perhaps something left over from VHHH before the 9Dragons install?) and get dumped into the bay near the VHHH construction site. However, if I fly my own pattern and come right over the top of the VHHH site, I will get locked on the correct localizer and the ILS approach to VHHX will be perfect. Is there any way to adjust this so I can get steered the right way from ATC and pick up the correct localizer? The AI traffic seems to fly a perfect pattern into RWY 13. I know the designers talk about switching off ATC, flying your own patten and then swithcing it back on for final, but is this the only answer?

I've flown several approaches now in the Tinmouse 732 and haven't seen that problem. I have the VHHH2004b installed (yes I know 2005b is available, but I didn't want to hassle getting it to work with VHHX once I had things fixed -- though having the cranes in the middle of the airport is kind of humerous). My method is when ATC advises to "expect ILS runway 13" I use the select approach menu to request the LDA13 approach with vectors to final (for whatever reason, the GPS shows two full transitions but ATC won't offer either in the menu -- just vectors). ATC sends me a bit wider than the published approach, every time I get headings of 330, then 360, then 060 which is to intercept the LDA. That takes me over VHHH (normally they have been giving me 3000 ft which might be a little low compareg to the chart). I have no trouble intercepting the LZZ well outside the OM. The only thing is when transferred to Tower, the ATC always gives me "fly right base runway 13"). Yesterday, the weather (at least from Active Sky 6.5) was about at minima, at least when you are in 2d panel and can't really look over towards the runway. I probably should have gone missed, but continued regardless.scott s..

Guest 28right

Thanks for the reply, although I must admit a good portion of what you said went over my head. What is VHHH2004b?

Guest simonmd

It's the older version of Thomas Kwong's VHHH scenery.Not sure about your problem though, if you're being directed to intercept the loc' over the bay near VHHH then that's about right anyway. You should be able to pick up the KaiTak IGS rwt13 beam (111.90/088) before you fly over VHHH.