Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Cathay Pacific Airways for flight simulation

A pal suggested recently that I submit the following to Avsim as a "news item", given that many newer simmers are unaware of my Cathay Pacific pages. Avsim have not replied to me - a little bird tells me that mention of a VA killed the article - so I may as well post it here instead. Just for info, perhaps useful for some:"Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont, a Briton living in Long Island, New York, is probably best known in FS circles for his enthusiasm for the Douglas DC-3. Mark is Vice-President Fleet at DC-3 Airways (www.dc3airways.com) and a member of the MAAM-SIM development team. He has turned out many textures and add-ons for the marque. However, perhaps not so many simmers know of Mark's dedication to Cathay Pacific Airways of Hong Kong. Since getting into FS in earnest with FS2000, Mark has put together an online library of pretty well everything ever released for Cathay Pacific in the FS world, enabling those interested in this particular airline to explore a rich source of material."Whereas there are thousands of files available in the Avsim library, and a number of sites dedicated to particular aircraft", says Mark, "it seems rare to find FS sites dedicated to a particular airline. I lived in Hong Kong for some years, working on the shipping side of the Swire Group, the owning/managing company of Cathay Pacific Airways, and so have long had a fascination for the airline and its history. Indeed, I travelled on Cathay aircraft regularly all over the Far East - mostly Tristars and 747s - and was lucky enough to be invited "up front" a number of times for the approach into R13 at Kai Tak Airport, before it closed. When I became immersed in flightsimming, I reminded myself of those heady days by pulling together the best work out there for CPA."Mark has certainly done that. In what spare time he has, Mark maintains a web site for his old buddies in Swire Shipping (specifically, the China Navigation Company). He introduced a flightsim page into the site for members'amusement, offering one of his first repaints as a dedicated 'fun' aircraft for members but focusing, thereafter, on Cathay Pacific Airways. Since those early days, Mark has pulled together the best, if not all, work that has been created for FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 and now FSX. You'll find any Cathay aircraft you're looking for within his pages. He also showcases many associated add-ons such as Hong Kong scenery, AI files and relevant documentation."It's been great fun keeping my pages up to date," continues Mark, "although I think my shipping pals think I'm off my rocker. Currently, the FSx page is growing fast but I continue to keep the FS2004 entries up to date as well - for the moment, at least - given the continuing interest in that version of MSFS. Most of the links to downloads from my pages are to the trusty Avsim library, of course, and I thank Tom and his team for all their hard work; I gave up hosting the files on my own server long ago, given that file sizes have become so large. I do try to keep the entries in some sort of order, and continue to be amazed at the amount of quality work, both freeware and payware, that is turned out for my favorite airline. There's some superb stuff to be had."You can visit Mark's Cathay Pacific pages at http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html from which index page the specific pages for all versions of the simulator are linked. Mark points out that the music you'll hear on arrival at any page is Barry White's "Love's Theme", which for many years was the reassuring and relaxing in-cabin music on Cathay Pacific Airways."MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

Guest RonB49

Hi Mark,Thanks for the interesting read. I wondered what you were doing because I hadn't seen many of your posts on this forum recently. Obviously you're keeping busy. Keep up the good work. R-

Hi RonUnfortunately the real world has been getting in the way far too often, particularly since the birth of my now-two-year-old co-pilot. I have FS projects almost completed that have been on my hard drive for two years :(Luckily, FS2004 ain't going anywhere soon!MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]