Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

New PC finally built.......and working after very stres

Guest DanWalloch

I went from this:PIII 850Mhz448MB PC100 Ram50X CD-Rom64MB DDR Geforce2 Ti10GB HD ATA 100to a:P4 2.4Ghz512MB PC2700 Ram128MB Radeon 9500Pro 8X AGP16X DVD Rom120GB HD ATA 133 w/8mb cache

Thats pretty impressive. Personally Im waiting for July to roll around so I know what Im dealing with in FSACOF. Im hoping by then the next ATI card will be out so I can pick up a 9700 pro and possibly a 3ghz P4. We will have to see though. I did make great strides last night in FPS by limiting visibilty to 10mi in the weather section. Thats really not far from reality most days, and I think it also adds to the realism. Anyways, what did this upgrade end up costing you?Craig

Guest DanWalloch

Oh around $900.....including case, power supply, fans, different heatsink, new floppy drive. Still have to buy a serpate soundcard ($89), new monitor ($180) and new speakers ($80-$90). At the end, having a system for under $1300. The key is to buy online (newegg.com), find the good deals and cheap to free shipping. Also motherboards with built in lan card, soundcard to save money, save space and have one less thing to provide heat inside your pc.

and the difference in FS performance is ...

Guest DanWalloch

Yep..........a very lovely performance! I was getting 7-8fps on my old pc.........now I get 8-9fps only when I'm at a gate at o'hare with the sliders fulls, including AI (using a large amount of PAI)

Congrats on your new system Dan! Amazing what we go thru and spend for a couple of FPS! LOLI was thinking about this last night after installing the new IGI2 demo, great graphics, fluid, fun as hell. If it wasn't for third party add ons and everyone just plyed with came out of the box, we wouldn't hardly worry about FPS much anymore, but I for one don't use anything default in my configuration! LOL They'll start putting on the box, minimum req, reccommended req, and third party add on req! LOL Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest cw1011

Re: your monitorThere is absolutely no need to buy a new monitor. We picked up a beautiful Dell 19" Sony Trinitron for $10 at a garage sale. Used computer stores have tons of them, and if you are in a community with a large active Craigslist.org community, you can usually pick up big monitors at a great price. I have a 21" that I paid $60 for from a graphic designer on craigslist. Colin