Sign in to follow this  
Elsmoko

FS9 CTD near San Francisco Bay

I have had an ongoing issue concerning approaches to the San Francisco Bay area when approaching from the north or west.At approx 20nm out I experience simulator "freeze" (CTD)and the dreaded "Would you like to send a report" message.I am using the FS9 Bay Area default scenery. I have repeatedthe Seattle (KSEA) to San Francisco (KSFO) flight 4 timeswhile varying the route. Freezes occur shortly after passingPYE for one route and shortly after passing ECA on anotherroute. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would appreciateany ideas for a solution.Ken B.

Ken Boardman

Guest wtsapchy

Hi Ken,Did you install Ultimate Terrain ? If you did, this is the most probable cause. It will cause CTD if you activate all the enhancement. Try to fly again using nothing but the default FS9 scenery.DanielVHHH

Thanks for the tip Daniel.I don't have Ultimate Terrain installed. I have been using FSGlobalfor several years and do a lot of FS9 flying in varied geographicallocations. The only place that I have experienced the subject issueis near San Francisco. I call it the "BAY AREA BLACK HOLE". Strangething is I can fly up from LA or San Diego into the bay areawith no problem. Issue only occurs when I fly south (ie. from Seattle).Best regards,Ken

Ken Boardman

Dang- what a disappointment! Flew the DF Baron all the way from Seattle just to see this fabulous "Black Hole" at PYE. Everything normal when I got there- no black hole.AMD XP2200, triple mons and Ultimate Terrain going full blast!Alex Reid

Wow...that was lots of help Alex... :-hmmmKen,There are two things I would try. Check for duplicate AFCADs using ScanAFD. If you have duplicate, that could cause a crash.Second, I'd look for the "LandClass file in the wrong place" bug. I can't remember exactly what causes this bug, but I believe if you have a LC file in a scenery folder that is in the same directory as a texture folder, it causes a memory leak. The easiest way to get that fixed is to use FlightSimManager. You will have to set your PC clock to a date in 2005 to make it work, but it will work. Under the diagnostic tools, scan the landclass scenery and let it fix it for you if there is a problem.Other than that...it will take another guru that is more knowledgable than I!! :)Good luck Ken!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Devin- was just a reply to #1-Daniel VHHH, who indicated Ultimate Terrain "will cause CTD if you activate all the enhancement". Not so on my sys- for me works perfectly full blast.Regards Alex Reid CYYJ

>I have had an ongoing issue concerning approaches to the San>Francisco Bay area when approaching from the north or west.>At approx 20nm out I experience simulator "freeze" (CTD)>and the dreaded "Would you like to send a report" message.>I am using the FS9 Bay Area default scenery. I have repeated>the Seattle (KSEA) to San Francisco (KSFO) flight 4 times>while varying the route. Freezes occur shortly after passing>PYE for one route and shortly after passing ECA on another>route. > Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would appreciate>any ideas for a solution.>Ken B.Hello KenJust wondering what aircraft you are using at the time ie default or third party? does the CTD happen with all aircraft you use?Like you i also use FSGlobal(probably three years now) and have had no problems with it at all.One other obvious question have got SP1 installed or have you recently reinstalled FS9 and forgotten to reinstall sp1?.Hope you get it sorted nothing worse than the dreaded 'Flight smulator has encountered a problem etc'PS there is also a CTD forum here maybe you could that out.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

ANDY- I'm running FS9.0 only. Works so well with triple mons and UT that I'd be afraid to update with 9.1 . NO problem at PYE.KEN- What happens if you fly north, crossing PYE, then turn and head south crossing PYE a second time in the same flight? Alex Reid

Thanks to all for the fine tips and suggestions. I'll do a few more --SFO TEST flights but I finally had onefinish successfully ~:) following use of ScanAFD and FlightsimManager as Devin suggested. I had several problems that wereidentified and "fixed". Andy, I was flying the FS9 default B737-400. I do have FS9, SP1installed. I nearly always fly with Radar Contact V4, FSACARS, and FSMeteorunning in the background; however for my latest (successful)KSEA-KSFO flight I only used FSACARS. Now I'll need to test theflight again with ALL that stuff running. It may be a few days, butI'll let you know how it goes.Best to all,Ken

Ken Boardman

>Hi Ken,>>Did you install Ultimate Terrain ? If you did, this is the>most probable cause. It will cause CTD if you activate all the>enhancement. Try to fly again using nothing but the default>FS9 scenery.>>Daniel>VHHHI'm sorry, but that is not correct. Otherwise the UT forums would be overrun by angry users. Some users have had difficulties using highend planes, many other addons and UT Europe. But those cases are very rare.For the OP, I would do as suggested and use ScanAFD for duplicate AFCAD files. Land class could be a problem if the land class file was in a folder with an accompanying empty texture folder.Should neither of the two above seem to be the cause, then I would do as the poster that I am quoting suggested, in that I would disable addon scenery (all of it) and start test flying, slowly adding the scenery layers back in, one at a time, until you can identify the cause and seek a solution.

>ANDY- I'm running FS9.0 only. Works so well with triple mons>and UT that I'd be afraid to update with 9.1 . NO problem at>PYE.>KEN- What happens if you fly north, crossing PYE, then turn>and head south crossing PYE a second time in the same flight?>>Alex ReidAlexYou may encounter problems at some point.Just one of the things the patch was designed to do was fix certain CTD problems related to seasons i seem to rememberI had a problem prior to installing the patch on a flight to EDDF(FRANKFURT)at exactly the same point into the flight (near the Rhine i seem to remember)CTD i installed the patch and the CTD was gone.I presume its still available from MSoft.It might be worth your while checking it out and seeing just what it does even if you don't want to install it.I have run UT with 9.1 and no problems at all.I currently use Traffic 2005 again with no problems.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Hi Meshman, >>For the OP, I would do as suggested and use ScanAFD for duplicate AFCAD files. Land class could be a problem if the land class file was in a folder with an accompanying empty texture folder.<

Ken Boardman

Hi Andy- at the time 9.1 was released, I looked at the specs to see what it offered and concluded it wasn't worth the risk of upsetting a sim that was so completely reliable with triple monitors/views."If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Maybe 9.0 is the secret! Can't recall when I've had a CTD. Thanks for the thought- I guess when you reach 75 you get a bit cautious!Alex ReidHa- just remembered some CTDs when I fooled around to see if triple views would work with Full Screen. They DON'T !!!!

This is a known issue from way back, not sure if it was ever patched. From what I recall it was determined to be a default-scenery texture issue, as it only occurs in certain seasons. It got noticed quite a lot by the PMDG 744 crowd as lots of users replicated Virgin Atlantic flight 19 from EGLL in honour of the ITVV program.The trick - sadly - is to avoid a PYE1 arrival from the north during the affected season(s?), sorry I can't recall which. :)Do a search on "PYE1" and "CTD" and I suspect you'll find something.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg