Sign in to follow this  
Guest scoeva

ATC Runway Assignments

Guest scoeva

Hello all,I was wondering if there is a way of getting FS9 ATC to stop assigning Runway 27 for landings at Princess Juliana Airport. I have never seen an airliner land on that runway, and for good reason. I tried closing the runway for landings using the AFCAD program, but that didn't seem to work. If nothing can be done, then how do you deal with this issue?Thanks in advanceScott

no way to close just one side of a runway unfortunately, a limitation of fs9 for some reason. not sure if fsx lets you do it

Guest flightsimmernick

No you cant close one end of the runway in FS9 but cant you just manually set the wind direction so AI traffic use the end you want.

I bought FlyTampa's absolutely beautiful TNCM Princess Juliana scenery (which has a package that offers 4 other highly detailed, nearby airports) to go with my Airport Enhancement Services, and now ATC correctly directs me to Rwy 9 every time. No wind adjustments needed - and I love seeing the sailboats and windsurfers on approach.Check it out - quite an approach:<< http://www.metacafe.com/watch/325621/princ...uliana_airport/ >>BTW, taking off from that runway is murder. You need to get over that mountain about 2 miles beyond the airport so get high fast!

I love this airport - it's one of my favorite sceneries. The additional airports that come with the expanded package are just phenomenal, complete with people holding drinks out on the porch and cars driving up and down the hillside roads. All with very interesting approaches and/or departures.

Changing the wind direction will certainly do the trick so before you (re)save the flight concerned at your departure airport, set the wind direction and strength (about 10 Knts) at your destination airport.As far as I know you cannot change the wind direction at your destination airport while enroute, it can only be specified when saving your flight at your departure airport, that is... if you want ATC to direct you correctly. From about 80 Nm before you reach your destination airport, AI aircraft will become active there and also use the same take off/landing runways to which you will now also be directed by ATC depending on the local winds saved with your flight.Good LuckHans

It's easy to avoid that issue with Rwy 27 at TNCM - but you also will have no takeoffs on that runway.MS even gives us a couple examples in default FS2004 airports.Open the runway properties in AFCAD.Mark the Rwy 27 end closed for both takeoffs and landings.Close the runway properties.Display the start locations - find and delete the Rwy 27 start location.Save the AFCAD.That should set up TNCM so that Rwy 9 is used for all landings and Rwy 9 is used for all takeoffs.

Guest scoeva

Hi ChuckI also have the Fly Tampa version of TNCM, but ATC still directs me to Rwy 27. When you said that "now ATC directs me to Rwy 9 everytime", could it be that whenever you have flown there the winds were in your favour so that ATC would direct you to Rwy 9? Just curious to know seeing that we both have the same scenery.Scott

Guest scoeva

Thanks ReggieI'll try what you suggested. I guess it's no big loss having no takeoffs from Rwy 27 if it means being directed to the proper Rwy for the approach.Scott

>>>Hi chuck i also have the fly tampa version of tncm, but atc still>>>directs me to rwy 27. When you said that "now atc directs me to >>>rwy 9 everytime", could it be that whenever you have flown there >>>the winds were in your favour so that atc would direct you to rwy >>>9? Just curious to know seeing that we both have the same >>>scenery. >>>Scott I'm not sure Scott. I've flown there a number of times, always approaching from the South/West and it's always set me down on 9. It's never been an issue so I haven't thought about wind direction too much. Up until I saw your thread, that is. And I can't check for you until tomorrow night as I have plans for tonight (with real, live people! :D ) Are you coming in from the European side (from the East)? I wonder if that could have something to do with it.

If you have AFCAD you can close Rwy 27 to arrivals and departures. AI should then always use Rwy 9 regardless of wind. Rich