Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

Are there publications available for intersections?

I decided to try for a little more realism tonight on a flight between KDEN and KBOS so I went to flightaware.com and tried to reenact a r/w United flight (UAL354) that had landed a couple hours earlier. The flight plan shown on the flightaware page was as follows:PLAIN4 MCK J44 LNK DSM ELX HAAKK SOSIC JHW J82 ALB GDM3I did OK with finding the plates for the PLAIN4.MCK departure and ALB.GDM3 arrival and set out to export a .pln in FSnav. I'm using the last freeware AIRAC (0608 I think) so maybe that's my problem, but I couldn't find HAAKK or SOSIC which I assume are intersections. I wound up leaving them out and flying direct from ELX to JHW which I doubt made much difference in the path of the flight, but I'm curious as to why the r/w pilots included them in their FPIt looked like they pretty much flew from VOR to VOR on high altitude airways for the majority of the cruise part of the flight, so why did they throw those 2 intersections in there between 2 VORs both of which were still hundreds of miles from the destination? Was it to route the flight clear of congested airspace or something? Was it some part of the arrival procedure that I'm not seeing? Maybe they were just trying to route the flight over the 1st Officer's Mom's house? :-hahI noticed on the DP and STAR pages that most intersections are clearly defined as the intersection of 2 VOR radials, so I was wondering if there was some info available that would show the VORs and radials that define a certain intersection, HAAKK or SOSIC for example? I'm thinking maybe downloadable .pdfs something similar to the DP/STAR procedures pages? (I tried Google but didn't find anything that pertained to aviation)Thanks,Jim

Jim- did a google on HAAKK- which led me to FlightPlan.com . HAAKK is an RNAV waypoint in Michigan.Fix/Rad/Dist= LFD294.62/12.71Couldn't find SOSIC.That website appears to be fairly useful.Alex Reid CYYJ

A little more searching on that site revealed-SOSIC is a reporting point in Michigan-Fix/Rad/Dist: CRL/355.26/11--------Missed the slash in my prior post on HAAKK location- should read:Fix/Rad/Dist: LFD/294.62/12.71--------I wonder-does PMDG accept radials to 1/100 of a degree? Have to try that!Alex Reid CYYJ

I don't think it does but I have not tried it. I love using the RAD/DIS formula in the flight plan.

According to Bill Bulfer's FMC User's Guide, the real FMC will take bearing and distance entries to one decimal point.A quick check on the PMDG FMC indicates it will only accept Bearings as whole numbers- but Distance can be entered with 1 decimal point.Alex Reid

Thanks guys for the responses, sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. As soon as I finished posting this last night I went to simroutes.com just for grins and entered that flightplan into the route generator. It apparently found HAAKK and SOSIC with no problems so I guess my problem must have been with the old 0608 AIRAC I'm using. Here's what simroutes came up with for lat/lon coords:HAAKK - N42* 08.00', W085* 02.00'SOSIC - N42* 13.79', W083* 29.45'I'll fire up FSNav now and put some fixes at those coords and see if they jive with HAAKK @ Fix/Rad/Dist: LFD/294.62/12.71 and SOSIC @ Fix/Rad/Dist: CRL/355.26/11. I'll check out flightplan.com, thanks for the URL.I am pretty green with the PMDG FMC but I didn't know you could enter a Fix/Rad/Dist like that so I'll look into that too and see if I can figure it out (and probably be back with questions :) ). Thanks for the help, I appreciate your replies.JimEDIT: Scott, I must have been typing when you posted that link. Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.