Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

The ideal way to install Mesh

A few weeks ago someone posted a link with the following:"....Ideal installation procedure (for installing MESH):* create a scenery folder on another disk drive, preferably a drive on a controller other than the one supporting the drive your sim software is installed on. This will tend to optimize performance and facilitates sharing data and upgrading to new versions of the sim. for example - e:fs-sceneryfstscenery then copy the .bgl file(s) to this new scenery subfolder"I just purchased the full set of FS Genesis FS2004 mesh and installed(by their auto installer)only the USA set of mesh. It installed automatlyto the scenery/world/scenery folder with nothing to add to the scenery library. I already had FS Global 2005 mesh installed. I took 2 screen shots; one with FS Global 2005 USA CHECKED in the scenery library and one with it UNCHECKED. The two screen shots were identical. Does this prove that the FS Genesis FS2004 mesh was working as installed?The FS Global 2005 mesh came on ONE DVD. The FS Genesis FS2004 comes on 5 differant DVD and would be a HUGE file in the scenery/world/sceney folder. Is there anyone who has installed the complete FS Genesis FS2004 mesh into this ONE folder? How does it work for you?Is there anyone who has installed the FS Genesis FS2004 mesh into a COMPLETELY disk drive than the drive your FS2004 is on as described in the "Ideal way to install mesh" ? Thanks for your help jerrycwo4

A couple comments if I may.I have FSGenesis North America 38m mesh installed in it's own folder on a different partition(D) of the same drive as FS9©. One major difference I have noticed since moving the mesh from C to D is my defrags are a lot quicker and don't seem to spend as much time working on the mesh files.Letting the FSG auto-install to the scenery/world/scenery folder will work fine as long as you have no add-on scenery folders above it in the scenery library that have a more detailed mesh of the same resolution. Apparently FS9 loads mesh in reverse order of the scenery library ie: top to bottom. Hope this helps.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

When you let FS Genesis AUTO Install to scenery/world/scenery as I did there is NO entry into the scenery librbary. You made a seperate file for it to be loaded into that's why you had to "addit to the scenery library" so that it could be reconnized. I'm talking about adding FS Genesis to a completely seperate harddrive from the drive that my flight sim is on, then to, I'd have to make an entry into the scenery library for it. Anybody else loaded FS Genesis that way? jerrycwo4

I tried to load FS Genesis on a DIFFERANT harddrive than FS2004 is on and I could not get it to load or work. I'm going to try to install it to a "add-on" scenery file ( on the SAME drive) and put it in the scenery library. WHERE would it go in the scenery library ????? jerrycwo4

I also just got the FG Genesis package. Haven't installed yet.What resolution of mesh(s) are on each disc- say North America 1 and 2?And What exactly is "World Buffer Terrain."

Hi Bill,The FSG North America mesh is mostly 38m. It also includes some 19m and 10m mesh for places like the Grand Canyon. It also has some 76m mesh for areas that don't benefit from higher resolutions (think northern Canada, way northern Canada, or the plains states).The World Buffer mesh helps to eliminate the blue slivers that can be seen when using higher than default meshes. It is exactly what it says, a buffer between high and low resolution meshes.In terms of where to install it, I follow Holger Sandmann's recommendations. Install it to its own folder and add it to the FS scenery library. Verify that the .bgl files are in a folder named "scenery" in a folder named "whatever you want to name it", and that you have added "whatever you want to name it" to the scenery library. Then leave it, and any other mesh you have at the top of the scenery library as seen in the sim. This way if you have an add-on scenery package with more detailed mesh of the same resolution, and it is below the FSG mesh in the library, FS will load the more detailed mesh.BTW, FS9 does not care where you put scenery files. You can put them anywhere on your PC you want as long as FS knows how to find it. Hope this helps clear things up.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe, OK thanks. I'll give it a go.1-Before I "next" on the installer. :>)what will happen "next?" Will I be able to select where to install the North America 1? I plan to put it in "addon scenery/fsgenesis/na1"2- Should the World Buffer Terrain be above or below North America !, and the rest of the CD's.Thanks again

Hi Bill, Yes you will be given the option of choosing where you want to install the software. I personally am very cautious about installing any software that won't let me decide where to put it. Sometimes in the installer it will not be obvious you have that choice, but there is usually a button next to the box showing the install path that you can click on to change the path. I don't remember exactly how the FSG installer is set up, but I do know you can control the install path.It does not matter where the WBT is in relation to the NA. The only time the layering becomes an issue is when you have more than one layer with the same resolution. I keep all my mesh packages at the top of the scenery library as seen in the sim. That way if I have an add-on scenery package that contains some mesh of the same resolution, but of higher detail (due to the conversion process) and it is below the FSG mesh in the library FS will use the more detailed mesh. A quirk in FS9 is that it loads mesh opposite to everything else meaning from the top of the library, as seen in the sim, to the bottom.Hope this helps.BTW, Sunbeam Tiger, that's the one with the HO289 right? Cool!

sigbar.gif

Joe, it took you quite a while to type all of that info and I'm like Bill, still trying to understand all of this to properly install FS Genesis mesh. You could do BIll, me and hundreds of others that dont understand all of this like you, a GREAT, GREAT, BIG FAVOR and show us a SCREEN SHOTS of how and where your FS Genesis is located in whatever files you have them in AND a screen shot of your scenery library then we could all, "monkey see; monkey do" and have this problem fixed once and for all. Please think about it and if you can find time to show us the screen shots, it would really help all of us. Thanks for your time and understanding. jerrycwo4

Hi guys,Glad to help, here we go.During the FSG install process you navigate through several info screens and the EULA until you see this (regardless of which product) ....2701.jpgWhen you see that screen click on browse. This screen shows how I have pointed the installer to a folder that I created on my desktop named "temp". Continue clicking "next" until the file transfer begins, then go get a cup of coffee.2702.jpgThis screen shows my file structure for my "D" drive. How you organize your file structure is up to you. You can see I have 1 folder named "mesh" that contains all of my mesh add-ons. The folder named "LOD10_Mesh_FSG" contains the FSG North America mesh files in a folder named "scenery". I have copied all the files from "temp" (on my desktop) to here after the installer was finished. (you don't see the Buffer mesh here due to the fact "D" is too full, it lives on "C")2703.jpgAnd finally my scenery library screenie with all my addon mesh located at the top. The order they are in does not matter, only when there are 2 or more levels with the same resolution, for the same location, does priority matter. I have arranged mine like this just to be neat and orderly. You can also see some add-on sceneries placed lower than the mesh. Note that priority #16 is Bella Coola which contains 38m mesh, the same resolution as level #6. Even thought they are the same resolution, Bella Coola is of a higher quality. Since FS9 loads mesh from the top down it will use the Bella Coola mesh instead of the FSG mesh. If I had let FSG auto install to scenery/world/scenery (which shows up in the library as "default terrain" at the bottom of the list) then I would not see the benefit of the higher quality mesh in Bella Coola.2704.jpg{edit}please don't be confused by level #3. Even though it is labeled as a mesh folder, it contains no mesh files and will be renamed and moved eventually{/edit}One final note, and this is completely optional. I installed to "temp" for another reason. Remember that I copied the files from "temp" to "LOD10_Mesh_FSG". My last step is to run the un-installer program which will remove the files from "temp" without touching the files in "LOD10_Mesh_FSG". This will remove FSGenesis from Start>All Programs and clean up the registry.As with all software installs the last thing you should do is defrag.I hope this clears things up instead of confusing you more. If you still have questions, please post them.

sigbar.gif

WOW.... That's wonderful !!!! Thanks a million! Now with a little study I think I can duplicate what you have done. I see that you also have The New Zealand (Red Baron) mesh. I have it also. I'm looking at the DVD of it now and it states that it is a 20 M mesh. My FS Genesis "Asia & Pacific" disc states, "from 90 m SRTM/de Ferranti sourse data". Does this mean that the Red Baron mesh is 20m and the FS Genesis is 90m ? Do you have both set up so the the Red Baron Nnew Zealand 20M Mesh is displayed in FS2004 and not the 90M FS Genesis Mesh? Thanks again for this great helping aid. jerrycwo4

Hi Jerry,I only have FSGenesis North America.The Red Baron I have is the freeware version, 76m I believe.If you have more than one resolution mesh for a specific location FS9 will load the highest resolution available. So you don't have to be concerned with "setting up" those specific mesh products.The only time that scenery library priority is an issue is when there is more than one mesh of the same resolution for a specific area.In your case, FS will display the Red Baron when you are in NZ, and the FSG elsewhere.Glad to help and happy flying.

sigbar.gif

Joe, I made a print out of all of your info which is VERY helpful. Would you be so kind as to show me a "screenshot" of the rest of your scenery libary settings? It would be very helpful to see if I have the remainder of my files in the corrext order. You have already shown area's 1-16, could you please add a screenshot of all of the rest of your scenery library. Thanks again for your help. You appear as to really know what your doing. jerrycwo4

Hi Jerry,Don't have time today to process a bunch of screenies but this is the order I use. (as seen in the sim)1) Mesh2) Individual add-on sceneries (I organize them by geographic location)3) Larger add-on scenery packages (think Glacier Bay v2 or Freeflow) 4) Stand alone landclass folders5) Scenery object libraries (Separated and organized by author)6) Default foldersPlease note that, with the exception of mesh, I don't have any payware sceneries that may require special handling (think Ultimate Terrain) and can't advise you on those.Hope this helps.{edit} PS. thanks for the nice comment. Everything I have learned has come from reading forums like this. Thanks to all those who have helped in the past. {/edit}

sigbar.gif

This is very helpful, visual is really helpful when it comes to "top down" or highest priority etc... I understand that you stated you dont use any payware add-ons, I was hoping then somebody else would jump in and add there help to using Ultimate Terrain and FSG landclass sandwich. Again thanks for your timePaxBrad