Sign in to follow this  
TC1

A Quick Question

Jim,Thank you for our response. I have a friend who built a heavey duty machine for FSX and his framerates are still in the teens. We were debating on what the results would be if he reloaded FS9.ThanksTom

A stock duel core machine running at 2.4ghz will be way faster then a old P4 running at 3.2ghz and you can overclock some of these new processors up to 4ghz on air.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Skydiver

I tend to think that it would be more advantageous to have a duo core computer with a higher FSB speed. Greater than 800Mhz,( 200 Mhz main FSB frequency and quad pumped), to perhaps 1066 Mhz. In addition to this some faster RAM. Maybe 2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM on board for example. More data transfer per clock cycle now. Combine all this with a quality video card, (not AGP anymore because of the limited bandwith), but a PCI Express video card, and I think FS9, (which we all know is very CPU demanding ), would run quite well. The speed of the CPU is only a multiple of the base frequency of the oscillator circuit pumping it. No real advantage in having the ability to process instructions faster than the data can be transferred to and from CPU > FSB to RAM, Video GPU, etc. So even if your processor is over clocked, (which can be helpful, when done properly), there are other potential "bottlenecks" that need to be overcome. Effective heat dissipation can be a real problem to deal with when over-clocking as well.Anyway,just my $0.02 worth of opinion.Cheers, :)Mark

Out of curiosity just how much faster is "way faster"? I have an AMD64 3400+ running at 2.4 what sort of a lift would I get in FS9 if I upgraded to a 2.4 multicore?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

>A stock duel core machine running at 2.4ghz will be way>faster then a old P4 running at 3.2ghz and you can overclock>some of these new processors up to 4ghz on air.>>RobNot it wont! if doesn't matter how many cores it has! Stop giving misinformation. What makes it faster despite the lower clock speed is that number of calculations each core can do, which is generally higher than any p4 HT or standard CPU. FS9 and FSX do not have multicore support. Nor ever will. Pretty much the only applications that make use of these properly are server applications and graphics programs on the industrial level. The consumer market is yet to catch up to multiple cores in over the shelf applications. Multiple cores have been around for about 10 years now.

Although not a reply to my post I guess it kinda answers my query as well. This whole hardware business is pretty discouraging when one is looking for substantial (say 75-100%) performance leaps over that obtainable on 3 year old gear whether it be for FS9 or FSX.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest tmond

Jim. So can I run both fs9 & fsx on XP Pro (64 bit)then? Tim:-)

He's not talking about dual core "support", nor is he spreading "misinformation". YOU misinterpreted his comments. He's talking about the inherent efficiency of the newer architecture. Cycle for cycle, the Core2 processors smoke the older P4s, and he's 100% correct in saying a 2.4Ghz Core2 (using even a single core) will be faster than a 3.2Ghz P4. Cycle for cycle, these processors perform many more operations than their predecessors and they do it far cooler as well. --Jon

OK how much faster in FS9 than my 3 yr old AMD3700+ @ 2.4 ghz? Put a number on it?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Do you even own a dual or quad?? I'm not talking about fs9 using multiple cores, That has been common knowledge forgod knows how long. As you say it's about calculations, Higher FSB on the new machines PCIE motherboards instead of AGP faster ram etc etc.... My point is buying a dual of quad machine running at 2.4ghz IS faster then an old P4 running at 3.2 FACT

Rob Prest

Guest LeeWang

rjprest point is accurate, you will get better performance. I didn't think I would, but have.Lee

Bruceb,I found a CPU comparison somewhere on Tom's Hardware. The numbers looked good because they matched the machines I knew.It also made me realize that plunking down $$$$$ wouldn't give me a big boost, and so I wait. Note: this is because all the stuff I run uses single cores.FSX looks like it can fill up 2 cores with work.Also Crysis can use multiple cores.So if you like those an upgrade would help.Hopefully more and more games will use many cores. Then I'll upgrade.