Sign in to follow this  
badbiggles2

Ground Steering - NG 737

To 737 pilotsRecently had a great experience 'flying' a 737-800 in a simulatorat Darling Harbour, Sydney,AuAfter using up all my nervous energy concentrating on flying between Sydney(YSSY)and Melbourne (YMML) I forgot to clarify whether you can actually steer (or have limited steering capibilities) using the rudder pedals (and not the tiller) on the real aircraft taxing to the lineIn this simulator I was actually steering with the rudder pedals and did not use the tiller????????.I thought the pedals were only used when you had sufficient speed for the rudder to become effective on takeoffComment appreciatedHugh EdwardsBadbiggles

Most tiller steered aircraft will also have a limited amount of nosewheel steering available through the rudder pedals. 7 degrees worth for the 737.

Taxiing in the 737 you use the tiller until you are lined up on the runway (but you can use the pedals to keep make small adjustments to keep the aircraft on the taxiway centerline while going straight if you like). While taking off you use the rudder pedals NOT the tiller to steer the aircraft down the runway. As previously said you have 7 degrees nosewheel deflection with the pedals which is plenty to keep the aircraft on centerline on takeoff. On the other hand that won't get you around the 90 degree turn from the taxiway to the runway. HTH,Mike T.

KevinAu and Mike TThankyou for the clarification.The simulator did have perhaps an exaggerated turning circle using the pedals - however that didnt matter - I now get the gist of it.The total experience in the sim.. was wonderful as I had the opportunity to compare this to my PMDG 737Thanks fellaBadbiggles