Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Is Windsor Castle in the default FS2004 scenery?

I took off from EGLL 27L and could not find Windsor Castle. I was sure it was about 5-6 miles west of the rwy. Is it in the default FS2004 scenery?JS

Guest 247

Should be as i was literally just coming into 27R and i saw it. Quite hard to see though. Look near the house of parliament.

Well if it's there you are not alone in not finding it.Google shows it - as you say - 4 or 5 miles due west of Heathrow and I just scoured the area in vain.Guess MS did not think it worthwhile.

247:You must be thinking of Buckingham Palace. That is near Big Ben and on the way IN to 27R. Windsor Castle is on the way OUT of 27L heading west away from EGLL.JS

I see Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace - but not Windsor Castle.However, looking under the Scenery folder - there is a Windsor.bmp texture file for some model - where I don't know. The texture looks a lot like the photographs if Windsor Castle.

Oh, dear, that will be a disappointment if correct. I wonder if anybody's done an add-on of the place? I'll check now.JS

It was definitely there when I first used FS9. I then installed VFR Photographic Scenery which automatically removed a number of autogens - basically those not associated with an airport. I later installed the Service Pack. Is it possible that the SP might have removed it?

Yes, it's in the default scenery at roughly N 51*28 W 0*38, but if you're much above 1500 feet it's not very easy to spot until you get fairly close.Dugald

Guest 247

Your right i just landed back at 27r and it is Buckingham palace. I should be able to tell the difference really as i only live some 30 miles away.

You are that mini-cab driver I travelled with the other day aren't you?If you ever consider becoming a real airline pilot, let me know and I'll start taking the train.Don't fancy landing in a field 10 miles west of Windsor Castle owing to a mix up with Buckingham Palace.

ngxu_banner.png

Maybe the Queen is claiming it on expenses but in fact it's just a move back-drop?

ngxu_banner.png

"It was definitely there when I first used FS9. I then installed VFR Photographic Scenery which automatically removed a number of autogens"Ah, I wonder if this is why I show the Millenium Dome in the middle of the Thames!