Sign in to follow this  
Guest redp51

Ultimate Terrain & Ground Environment Pro - Differences??

Guest redp51

Looking at Ultimate Terrain & Ground Environment Pro textures products & trying to figure out whether they cover the same aspects of scenery or overlap.Does anyone run both, & if so, what has each got that the other doesn't have that persuaded you that running only 1 of the 2 systems would not be sufficient?ThanksRP

They are complementary. Actually the roads and water and coast shapes are not enough for me without GEPro ground textures.

Dirk98- does Ground Environment have any significant impact on Frame Rate/Performance? I have UT Can/AK & USA and can detect no negative impact. Since my sys is nearly five years old and I'm running triple mons, preserving frame rate is a priority. But GE does look intriguing.(KLAX at night with all the UT lights spread over 180

I have both and they work well together. Combine Active Sky 6 with GE Pro and you will get subtle ground texture changes to compliment the weather.No frame rate hit that is observable to me, but then I look for fluidity vs frame rates anyway.

Guest Nealoc187

UT does Roads, lighting, landclass, coastlines. The biggest difference I personally noticed from UT was the much more accurate roads (I can pick out the little road that I personally live on for instance, it's placed completely accurately and is very distinctive both in placement and shape so I know it's my road) and the coaselines. I live on a peninsula that sticks out into a small lake. With the default coastlines, the entire lake was unrecognizable - it was just an oblong blob. With UT, it looks like the real lake (shaped somewhat like the eagle on the back of a quarter).GE Pro does textures and lighting - both lighting as in city lights and lighting as in the different shades the ground will take on during different sky conditions. The textures look more realistic - more 'google earth' looking as if you were flying above a satellite image rather than flying above an image someone just designed themselves on a computer that 'kind of' looks like the ground should. Both of them do point lighting for night time so I'm not quite sure how they interact, but I'd say my night lighting looks more like that in the GE Pro screenshots than it does in the UT screenshots so I guess GE Pro is overriding UT night lighting which is fine by me, because I like the GE Pro night lighting better anyhow. I installed GE Pro before UT if I recall correctly so I'm not sure that the order in which you install them makes a difference.My one complaint about GE-Pro is that the textures during late-late dusk, like as the sun is at the horizon, are really muddy on my computer. They are not pretty - which is not the case most of the time. It seems there is just a 10 minute or so interval in there during sunset where the ground textures look really ugly. They look great all througout the day and early to mid sunset, but late sunset looks really bad (which isn't that big of a deal because I'm usually checking out the sky and clouds during late sunset, but still, it's something I've noticed. Once late sunset has passed the night textures look great.

Guest redp51

>I have both and they work well together. Combine Active Sky 6>with GE Pro and you will get subtle ground texture changes to>compliment the weather.>>No frame rate hit that is observable to me, but then I look>for fluidity vs frame rates anyway. I have read that there may be some subtleties in the positioning order in Scenery Manager of the various scenery elements to get them working together cleanly.For example, if I had added to my FS2004 directories a USA Mesh, Ultimate Terrain USA, GE Pro USA and Active Sky 6 - should they be listed in Scenery Manager in a particular order?Should one of them be #1?, & then what follows??ThanksRP

Hightower- you are right on re fluidity before frame rate! I'm quite comfortable with FPS at 14-24. Very smooth with a 180

Alex:For comparative purposes, here is what I'm currently running for programs on my PC. Have seen frames as low as 11, but still fluid. PC: AMD 2.8 Duo Core 5600+ ASUS M2N68-LA 4GB RAM 667hz (Page file set at 3840/7680 MB) GeForce 8500GT 512MB (Set up using Enhancer) 250GB Western 7200 XP PRO SP2 (Vista kept crashing - Out of Memory Message)FS: FS9 FS NAV Active Camera UT USA Active Sky 6.5 GE PRO FSGenesis World Mesh & Landclass WoAI complete library AI set to 85% (more AC than I can deal with!) All sliders right Addon Sceneries (over 100)There is a tutorial on the UT forum on how to combine the landclass of UT and FSGenesis and make them work together. There is a definite pecking order on placement of these created folders in the Addon Scenery folder. FS9 is smooth 99% of the time. Just an occasional hitch.

Wow- I'm almost embarassed to give you my specs!AMD XP2200 1.8 GHz on an ASUS A7N8X-X m'bd2 GB DDR PC3200 RAMGeForce FX5200 AGP Dual head card & a same type (single) PCI card2 19" CRTs and 1 17" LCD (the latter so it all fits a 48" space)Win XP and FS9.0CH yoke & PFC pedalsPMDG 737/747, ATR 72, DreamFleet Baron 58 & Fokker 100Ultimate Terrain(s) Can/AK & USA - everything ON1 Addon Scenery- CYYJFrames as low as 8 & up to 30 with mid range FS9 settings- AI about 30 and Autogen OFF. NO hiccups or pauses.Now that's a true Smithsonian class system!But it does give me a 48" 180

Guest redp51

>Alex:>>For comparative purposes, here is what I'm currently running>for programs on my PC. Have seen frames as low as 11, but>still fluid. >>PC: AMD 2.8 Duo Core 5600+> ASUS M2N68-LA> 4GB RAM 667hz (Page file set at 3840/7680 MB)> GeForce 8500GT 512MB (Set up using Enhancer)> 250GB Western 7200> XP PRO SP2 (Vista kept crashing - Out of Memory Message)>>FS: FS9> FS NAV> Active Camera> UT USA> Active Sky 6.5> GE PRO > FSGenesis World Mesh & Landclass> WoAI complete library> AI set to 85% (more AC than I can deal with!)> All sliders right> Addon Sceneries (over 100)>>There is a tutorial on the UT forum on how to combine the>landclass of UT and FSGenesis and make them work together.>There is a definite pecking order on placement of these>created folders in the Addon Scenery folder. FS9 is smooth 99%>of the time. Just an occasional hitch.> Referring to your S/ware list above. Are any of UT USA, Active Sky 6.5, GE Pro & FSGenisis WM & LClass sitting ticked in Scenery Manager & if so what is the pecking order (relative numbering) ThanksRP

RP:My PC has more memory than I do! First, go to and read this:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=16115Download the file as listed in that post. Read the instructions VERY carefully as it will tell you what new folders have to be created and where they go. Then it will tell you in what order they must be placed in the FS Scenery Manager. I do remember that the Ultimate Terrain program folders must be on the bottom of the list of the 5 referenced folders (but not on the bottom of FS Scenery Manager).This of course is assuming you have Ultimate Terrain installed on your PC.As a side note, after installing/creating the programs/folders as described in the link above, I went to London UK and started a flight out of London City. (I do not have UT Europe). As I gained altitude and came upon the Millenium Dome, I found it sitting in the middle of The Thames. London Bridge was land locked as were many other bridges. Checking the readme of the QLRP4UT file, it listed the Dome, London Bridge and several others as objects that had been re-aligned to their correct positions. Only problem with my FS install is that I did not have UT Europe. So I found the London bgl file in the folder QLRP4UT, removed it, and all was back to normal. When I get UT Europe, I'll simply place the London bgl file back in the Quantum Leap folder.Chris