Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Flying a GPS approach

Hi,How do I use the GPS for an approach? I tried last night and I got confused. The approach was into Martha's Vineyard and I loaded it into the GPS - Rwy06GPS. I had the nav/gps switch in GPS position. Is this supposed to handle the glide slope as well? I had to take control as I was going to go into the sea if I didn't. I searched the web and didn't find any info on how to do this. Does anyone use the GPS500 for approaches? Any help would be appreciated.

dolph98:the GPS will only fly you to a point. the GPS unit is not connected to the aircraft 'altitude' control. it is not connected to the aircraft's nav radios which are used to fly a ILS/GS approach.here is a link to the basics of FS navigation -http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm(does not cover GPS, but you must learn the basics before going to more 'modern' navigation; this is so you understand what the GPS is doing)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

FS does not simulate WAAS capable GPS or their LPV approved 'glideslope' aproaches which are becoming the norm now, even for general aviation aircraft.The best way of cheating or simulating an LPV type of approach is to use an aircraft (payware most likely) that has a good VNav/LNav and Auto throttle (A/T not required but nice), and you can select that approach from the FMC-CDU (using current NavData) and program the speeds (usually VRef at the IAF) and let it run from their...to be very very general.Hope that helps a bit. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

There is a gauge out there, fsWAASv2.zip, which as a sim of a WAAS-enabled GPS (530W or something like that?) which can give you an LPV effect.I use the GPS all the time. In many cases, with the game ATC, requesting a GPS or RNAV approach allows you to get a convenient transition without having to do the circuitous vectors-to-final method. If desired you can also do the procedure turn or "hold in-lieu-of", if you want to practice that.scott s..

As noted in Scoob's reply, the GPS doesn't handle the glideslope. The easy way to use it is to let it guide you to the localizer before the outer marker and then switch from GPS to NAV and acquire the localizer. When the glideslope marker starts to come down, simply switch the AP to APP and handle the throttle, gear and flaps.DJ

Thanks for the replies. I figured it wouldn't control my descent. But I had trouble getting to the airport using it as well. I will keep RTFM'n.Thanks again.

The GPS will guide you to the airport, usually the center of the Runway or Runways. About 30 miles out, contact the tower for landing instructions. They will assign the landing runway and then you can tune your Nav radio to the ILS frequency. Line yor aircraft to approaach from below the ILS at about a 45 degree angle. Switch from GPS to Nav and let the auto pilot take over. I disengage about 300 yards out from the numbers and land manually from that point. If you fly an IFR flight plan, ATC will put you on final approach, then release you to the tower. Sometime ATC takes a very round about way of getting you there.Bill :-roll