Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

Anyone else into modifying their planes to higher performance model stats?

Guest Nealoc187

I'm starting to get into modding my planes to the stats of higher performance models of the same aircraft. For instance I've got my Dreamfleet Baron 58 modded to the stats of the old turbocharged Baron 56 model which had 380hp a side, turbocharged, as opposed to the Dreamfleet Baron 58's 300/side normally aspirated. I'm about to start work on the Carenado Cessna 210 Centurion in order to mod it to T210 specs (turbonormalized 300hp@ 2700rpm continuous rating as opposed to normally aspirated 300hp@ 2850 for 5 minutes and 285hp@2700 continuous).Anyone else into doing this?

Sure - been doing it for years. There are sometimes side effects, depending on the air file and cfg, but turbonormalization is a gimme... FS gives you the world's cheapest hotrodding!DJ

Guest Nealoc187

what does the .air file do - I've wondered this for a while? Whenever I open an .air file in notepad it's just a bunch of jibberish.

The .air file contains many of the unique settings which affect flight dynamics for the particular aircraft.You need the program called AirEd to open any .air file.Get - aired152_update806.zip - here at Avsim.It has some basic editing tips in the documentation also.

Guest DreamFleet

>I'm starting to get into modding my planes to the stats of>higher performance models of the same aircraft. For instance>I've got my Dreamfleet Baron 58 modded to the stats of the old>turbocharged Baron 56 model which had 380hp a side,>turbocharged, as opposed to the Dreamfleet Baron 58's 300/side>normally aspirated. I'm about to start work on the Carenado>Cessna 210 Centurion in order to mod it to T210 specs>(turbonormalized 300hp@ 2700rpm continuous rating as opposed>to normally aspirated 300hp@ 2850 for 5 minutes and 285hp@2700>continuous).>>Anyone else into doing this?Well, I would never fly a Cessna T210 as you propose!And your point is?The Baron 56 is so rare as to not be an issue.As to the Carenado 210, I already offered them the chance to do a turbo 210 with us (DreamFleet) as I mostly fly a 1980 turbo 210N these days, as I did today. I gotta tell you, ya' ever fly these things in real life? Ever fly a turbo 210N?I do. Just flew one today. I do it all the time. Yes, that's right, I am not flying my Piper Dakota much these days.I mean, you are quoting some performance specs, but you are not quite on the money.Do you really think I would fly a Cessna 210N Turbo at 2700 RPM? I would need my head examined to do that.Sure, mod it all you want for FS, as it costs no money. It's "fantasy island".Yeah, no doubt you are rich, and can fly a Cessna 210N at 2700 RPM and max MAP. Otherwise, your point is?Sorry the DF Baron does not please you.However...I mean no offense to you, and feel free to do what you wish. Modify all you want, just don't make it seem like something the average "joe" could ever afford.These days planes like the Baron and 210 will drain your wallet as though a fire hose were attached to it.I fly the Cessna 210N Turbo at 27" and 2400 RPM.You want to push it? Then be prepared for maintenance costs that will blow your mind.You want to talk about "T210 specs"?The beauty of FS is that you can push these planes all you want and it will not cost you a penny.And that is where FS departs from reality.Again, no offense, but performance and engine longevity is not cheap.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest Nealoc187

>>I'm starting to get into modding my planes to the stats of>>higher performance models of the same aircraft. For instance>>I've got my Dreamfleet Baron 58 modded to the stats of the>old>>turbocharged Baron 56 model which had 380hp a side,>>turbocharged, as opposed to the Dreamfleet Baron 58's>300/side>>normally aspirated. I'm about to start work on the Carenado>>Cessna 210 Centurion in order to mod it to T210 specs>>(turbonormalized 300hp@ 2700rpm continuous rating as opposed>>to normally aspirated 300hp@ 2850 for 5 minutes and>285hp@2700>>continuous).>>>>Anyone else into doing this?>>Well, I would never fly a Cessna T210 as you propose!>>And your point is?>>The Baron 56 is so rare as to not be an issue.>>As to the Carenado 210, I already offered them the chance to>do a turbo 210 with us (DreamFleet) as I mostly fly a 1980>turbo 210N these days, as I did today. >>I gotta tell you, ya' ever fly these things in real life? Ever>fly a turbo 210N?>>I do. Just flew one today. I do it all the time. Yes, that's>right, I am not flying my Piper Dakota much these days.>>I mean, you are quoting some performance specs, but you are>not quite on the money.>>Do you really think I would fly a Cessna 210N Turbo at 2700>RPM? I would need my head examined to do that.>>Sure, mod it all you want for FS, as it costs no money. It's>"fantasy island".>>Yeah, no doubt you are rich, and can fly a Cessna 210N at 2700>RPM and max MAP. Otherwise, your point is?>>Sorry the DF Baron does not please you.>>However...>>I mean no offense to you, and feel free to do what you wish.>Modify all you want, just don't make it seem like something>the average "joe" could ever afford.>>These days planes like the Baron and 210 will drain your>wallet as though a fire hose were attached to it.>>I fly the Cessna 210N Turbo at 27" and 2400 RPM.>>You want to push it? Then be prepared for maintenance costs>that will blow your mind.>>You want to talk about "T210 specs"?>>The beauty of FS is that you can push these planes all you>want and it will not cost you a penny.>>And that is where FS departs from reality.>>Again, no offense, but performance and engine longevity is not>cheap.>>>Regards,>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpgI'm not really sure how to even respond to your post because I'm very confused as to how you gleaned from it the info you have. I didn't say that I was flying the aircraft firewalled @ 2700rpm and I wasn't advocating that anyone else do that (though it wouldn't really matter to me what others do in their flight sim). Nor did I "suggest that the average Joe could afford afford to do this" (not sure what even brought on that comment as after all, it's a simulator we're talking about - I'm not giving advice to flight students or aircraft owners here lol). Lastly, I didn't say I was unhappy with the aircraft I mentioned. Let me clarify since somehow I've obviously given the wrong impression.1) The Dreamfleet Baron is arguably my favorite payware aircraft (along with my F1 ATR-72 which I've had the privilege of being on the flightdeck of because a good buddy of mine flies them for American Eagle). The B58 was one of my favorites even before I started messing with the CFG file the other day. I love that plane! Don't apologize for it - because it's great :D I just decided to tweak the CFG file the other day to emulate the 325hp a side B58TC that I parked the Piper PA-28R I flew on tuesday next to, and then I decided to go one step further and try to emulate a plane I will almost positively never fly - and that I've never even seen in real life, the super rare Baron 56. 2) I'm a pilot in real life. I've never flown a T210N but I have flown a T206H, a Cirrus SR22 G2 turbo, and a Piper PA-34-220T Seneca V - I know not to fly aircraft firewalled. I don't expect I'd pass my commercial checkride if I didn't have that bit of knowledge :D I'm not flying these planes firewalled in the sim either. Just because they have those stats doesn't mean I utilize every bit of power they have at all times, However when departing Leadville, CO @ 9900'+ MSL, I've got them cranked up there pretty well. 3) you asked if I'd like to talk about T210 specs. I'd love to talk about T210 specs because I don't have a T210N POH! I try to fly the aircraft in flight sim as realistically as possible but with these modified aircraft I'm just flying them using common sense and practices I've learned in other aircraft to infer what I think would be most appropriate. 27" MAP and 2400rpm at cruise is what you use? What altitudes do you typically cruise at? What are the appropriate ranges of cruise MAP and RPM for the T210? What do you usually true out at in cruise? What's your initial climb power and RPM setting and your cruise climb power and rpm setting? Any info you can give me would be great.I'm just a tweaker, a modifier, in all facets of life. I've got a car that started out at 190hp running the 1/4 mile in 15 seconds and is now pushing in the neighborhood of 500hp and running the 1/4 mile in 11 and a half seconds. I've got a computer that started out at 2.0ghz and is now up over 3.3ghz on air cooling. I've got a house that started out with no landscaping and now has lots of it and a fresh coat of paint, new carpet and new balcony doors. Finally I've got a couple CFG files on my computer that started out saying "turbocharged=0" and now they say "turbocharged=1" among other little changes. I was just sharing something I was excited about since I'm pretty new to FS9, and I was seeing if anyone else was into doing the same thing. No offense or harm - or whatever other emotions my post may have stirred up - was intended.

Guest wji

Thanks for the link, Dave, to Yahia al Wajid improved AirEdI want to give my Mooney Carenado a kick in the gas ;-)

Guest c210_cvs

Geez Lou, had a bad day?!?You do know that you need to firewall the 210T on each takeoff to max MP , fuel flow and RPM? Anything not on the redline is a no go item!! There are people saying not to do it if you have runway to play with but it was proven by the guys that know that this actually increase EGT's and cause more harm than good!

>No offense or harm - or whatever other emotions my post may>have stirred up - was intended.Very well stated Nealoc, kudos to you, but IMHO you have done nothing which neccesitates an apology. It's nice to see someone extending an olive branch, though. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest c210_cvs

yeah, cannot see why Nealoc needs to apologize, if any it should be Lou. To go off on a customer like that is just not cricket!! So what if he modified some airfiles, he was not redistributing it so what is the big deal?!?!?

Guest Nealoc187

c210_cvs I sent you a pm with some T210 questions in it.

Guest c210_cvs

Answered, feel free to ask anything you want to know.

Guest H_Kev55

I've add a supercharger to an Aviat Husky that I use to fly bush flights with BWA.It really made a difference in this little aircraft.KJAvatarSaabAnimation.gif