Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne (FS2004)

Does anyone know if there is an update for this aircraft. I have had it for a couple of years and have NEVER been able to get the GPS to hold a trackline. It has a lighted, green toggle switch that says, "toggle NAV/GPS" and it makes a clicking sound but there is never, never an indication that it has switched from NAV to GPS. Does anyone have this aircraft and can make the NAV/GPS switch work? I bought it from Aerosoft. Thanks jerrycwo4

>"toggle NAV/GPS" and it makes a>clicking sound but there is never, never an indication that it>has switched from NAV to GPS. Sounds like you never, never tried putting in a non-LOC/ILS frequency in NAV1.And BTW SP3 for the Cheyenne was release today.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Please explain a bit more. I do not understand what you are trying to get across to me to make the "GPS" switch work. No, I never use the NAV1 for anything other than to load a ILS freq. Am I suppose to load a freq into NAV1 to make it hold a course on GPS? I've been doing it this way for 10 years without any problems until now. Please explain how to make the GPS switch work. Thanks for the effort to help. jerrycwo4Would you please add a link for the UPDATE? I was looking for it yesterday and could not find it for "Digital Aviation" or Aerosofy.

Guest Nealoc187

I don't have the Cheyenne but this is how I read it:This seems to be a peculiarity of the Cheyenne, since obviously other FS2004 aircraft don't do this.If you have an ILS frequency in the NAV1 radio - the NAV/GPS button will be impossible to switch to GPS. If an ILS frequency is in NAV1, it will stay suck on NAV. So what you need to do is tune the NAV1 to a non-ILS frequency... ILS Frequencies are between 108.1 and 111.9 with ODD decimals. I believe the NAV1 in FS9 defaults to 110.5 which is an ILS Frequency. Change this frequency too something else that is NOT an ILS frequency, and the GPS button should work. Like I said I don't own the cheyenne, but that is how I read that link. Try tuning in some different frequencies (not between 108.1 and 111.9 with an odd decimal place) and see if the GPS button starts working.

With regard to the update, it is available at the Aerosoft site by selecting the updates link on the lower left side of the home page and logging in. Select the Cheyenne on the updates page and it will take you to the update link for the aircraft.DJ

Samulis md82 panel has this peculiarity as well, you must detune nav1 for gps tracking to work.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest rwrea

You need to have a VOR tuned in and it will probably track to it. GPS is not to make an ILS APP. Have it set to NAV(off) and GPS(on) to track a VOR.Hope this helps....Dick ReaMCA 372

Guest Nealoc187

that's not what he was asking - he was saying that the autopilot NEVER tracks the GPS track, ever. it's because of the quirk described above.

I tuned a non ILS freq into the NAV 1 and now the NAV switch will chaNGE in the GPS, BUT it still will not follow my track line. Any other ideas? The auto pilot is on, the nav switch is off and the GPS switch is on with a non ILS freq on NAV 1. jerrycwo4

Still not working. I have it in the GPS mode, with NAV off and the freq of the NEXT VOR on the trackline loaded into the NAV1, but it still will not track. This was a very advanced GA aircraft and I know that a lot of people besides me that MUST have it and can make it fly a trackline. Please tell me how YOU do it ! Thanks. jerrycwo4

You must make sure the NAV 1 radio is not dialed into a valid ILS/VOR frequency, so set it to 108.000, that's where mine is, and then put the GPS switch to on. It's the switch that's blue and green and toggles ILS/NAV or GPS. Also, you MUST have the Flight Director turned on (autopilot panel) and set the AP to NAV. The AP will not track the flight plan if you're too far away from the track line, so if ATC or your take-off places you too far off track, you'll need to use heading mode to line it up. Then place it to NAV in the AP and make sure it's still set to GPS on the main panel. Also, remember to use the AUX button on the GPS to activate your flight plan once it's booted up.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Reading this post it is quite clear you never bothered to read the manual which explains how to get the nav/gps switch to work, how to load a flight plan into the GPS (it won't track if you don't load the plan into the GPS) and how to operate the autopilot. There was a great deal of programming and thinking outside the box (Microsoft box) to get many of the operations in this aircraft to perform like the real aircraft does and not the simplified MSFS operations. Having something this complex does require some reading to understand how to get the most enjoyment out of it.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

you are quite correct. This is a very complex aircraft and I did find the manual for it and it takes a LOT of programing to get it to work. I spent about 2 hours working with it but so far I cannt get it to track. I'm taking a breather from it now but will try it again later. jerrycwo4