Sign in to follow this  
misgav

ALT+ENTER refuses to go back

If I press ALT+ENTER to go to windowed mode, and then click on VIEWS to go back to full screen, my monitor just freezes, and the mouse flickers. I have to reboot-aargh!@#$What is happening here?Eytan

Guest c210_cvs

You are running NVIDIA right?!? It's a driver issue!

Guest ha5mvo

I'm having the same issue with an ATI card.It's just so rarely that I use this option, that it doesn't really bother me that much.

Rather than using Views to got back to Full Screen mode what happens when you hit ALT+ENTER again?Ken

I've experienced this with both ATI & Nvidia cards. When trying to switch back by hitting Alt/Enter, sometimes the screen goes completely black, other times it restores. No rhyme or reason. Cursor also wildly flickers. Would love to know what is happening here. Chris

Some people say starting the game in window mode cures this problem. I get it with FSX as well.

I have the latest driver for my GeForce 8600GTS card.I use ALT+ENTER only when I want to configure aircraft for Aerosoft's AES program, which aligns the a/c with jetways, pushback truck etc.Normally, I hit the windows key to minimize fs to the task bar.That works fine. It's just the ALT+ENTER; I'm just curious why this happens.Eytan

Happens to me also. I use the windows key to get out of full screen to start my background application. The only time I need to be in widowed mode is for setting the heights in AES. It is a pain because I always get the freeze when going back to full screen! Scott

Exactly Scott, See my note above about AES. I tried the alt+enter after reducing fs to windowed mode; sometimes it works, but most often the monitor freezes. I guess it's not the biggest problem in the world. Gotta keep a sense of perspective here. Just got a new car from a trade-in dealer. Already the brakes are emitting a squeaky sound. Now that's annoying!Eytan

Just wanted to give a shout that I have this problem too with an ATI card. The only way around is using the WINDOW key. Sometimes the menus do freeze and the only way to see them is alt-enter, which in most cases will lead to freezing on return. Very annoying.

I have to ask the obvious........Why not just stay in windowed mode ?You can auto-hide the bar at the bottom and you can hide the menu bar at the top (right click on the bar and select hide).All that will remain is a blue bar at the top with the MS Flight Simulator Logo.Some simmers (including myself) feel we get a little better frame rate in windowed mode.When you need to see the top menu bar, just hit your Alt key - hitting it again makes it dissapear.Perhaps that would solve the freezing problem.

Guest Mike_Luchia

What I have found works is to to into the display settings and put AA back on within the game. Once you have managed to get back into full screen then you can turn AA off inside the game.

Opa,your suggestion is common. However it's not that simple. Yes, the menu and bottom bars can be hidden, but still you will have "leftover" frames around the screen and additional 2D windows have an ugly blue frame with a red closing X on it. Even parts of the desktop are visible as you can't expand windows to cover the area where the bottom bar was. For some of us those are things that do spoil the immersion.I've also understood that in windowed mode, 3D acceleration does not work as it is supposed to.

Well all I can say is that on my monitor I can hide everything except the MS Logo at the top. No part of the desktop shows at all.Perhaps it works differently on other setups.Sure works well for me.

Guest RonB49

Hi Kyle,You say, "Sometimes the menus do freeze and the only way to see them is alt-enter"I'm not sure what you mean but if it is this:When you hit ALT, the game pauses but the menu bar does not display, then try this. o Move the cursor to the top of the screen where the menu bar should be.o Left-click the mouse once.o The game will unpause.o Hit the ALT key and your menu bar will appear.It works every time for me. Try it.R-