Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

Extracting Detonator Drivers.

I'm working through the excellent article on the RIVA tuner and how to patch the drivers before installation. I have an executable for the 29.42 set, but all it does is install the drivers, it is not a self-extracting file. Although an extraction routine appears to be a part of the activity, I can't find the extracted files anywhere (I did a search, including C:nVidia) after I installed the drivers. Maybe the executable cleans up the extracted files (just when you don't want it to :) ).Is there somewhere that has a 29.42 driver set that is self-extracting that anyone knows of? There is reference to right clicking the executable and extracting (I have XP)in the article, but I don't get that option with this file (I do with a .ZIP file though).Thanks for any help,Bruce.

www.guru3d.com has all the drivers.You may also find the extracted drivers under WindowsTemp.Depending on your version of Winzip you may have the option to just extract the .exe file, rather than extract and install.ChasW

I had exactly the same problem and could not find the extracted files so assume the setup removes the temp files once installed.The only way I could extract the files was to use WinZip (latest version); I was using 'PowerArchiver' which normally lets me extract files from self extracting zips but would not allow me to do that with the 29.42 drivers.HTH

Hi Bruce,I posted this a couple of days ago. Perhaps it will help:For Nvidia drivers:1. Install your drivers as per usual, i.e. run the executable2. Browse to the windows.system or windows/system32 folder and find either "nvdd32.dll" (WIN98se) or "Nv4_disp.dll" (WinXP)and copy it into a temp folder.3. Fire up RivaTuner. Under the Power Users tab, look at the bottom where you will see an icon that looks like a folder with a gear on it, click it. Next choose "Patch Scripts" then "lodbiasfix" now choose according to your OS and when prompted point the program towards the temp folder where you put the nvdd32.dll (or Nv4_disp.dll)file. RivaTuner will let you know that it was patched.4. Now reboot Windows into SAFE mode and replace the orginal nvdd32.dll (or Nv4_disp.dll) with the patched file in your temp folder. Make sure you BACKUP THE ORIGINAL first as a precaution (name the original with a '.bak' file extension. I always substitute the first point/period in the filename with an underscore - probably not really necessary but it's a habit of mine )5. Reboot Windows again and you can make your negative value LOD adjustments. Try experimenting with values in the range -0.1 to -0.8Mike :-wave

I wonder if there is more than one 29.42 .exe file floating around. I can extract them with PowerArchiver 8.00.63 . Trip

My apologies as some people have had this problem. Perhaps I ought to have been more clear about this in the guide.With this in mind I will work on revising the on-line guide over the weekend.With Zip or RaR this never seemed like it would be a problem - I really should have not taken this for granted.My apologies.Andrew

Hi Andrew and others,Thanks for your collective help here. I did download WinRAR, and now I have the "extract" option for the driver file, and am able to use the RIVA guide as intended.I think the confusion (for me at least) is that the un-zip function native to XP will not extract from such a file. However, for many of us with XP, that's all we use, as it does allow for extraction of .zip's, which is the most common use for most of us. Thanks again, the help here at AVSIM is really first class,Bruce.

Hello,I have one more question : do you know how to start XP PRo SP1 in safe mode with an USB keyboard? In fact the keyboard is not active yet when the "F8" key must be used.Thanks in advanceEmileEBBR

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64