Sign in to follow this  
FS4

Which non-aircraft add-ons do you recommend?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I have Ultimate Terrain and Ground Enviroment Pro. I think I will get FSGenesis next. However, here are some questions.1) The ground textures seem blurry from low altitudes and seem to pop into view as I fly towards them. Is this normal?2) I installed Ground Environment first -- Does UT overwrite the night textures? The night city lights seem large and blocky. I know both packages contain them.3) How will FS Genesis affect the first two packages and what will I notice most with the scenery?FS9 w/sp1 - All sliders full right.Thanks.

Guest Nealoc187

>Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I have Ultimate>Terrain and Ground Enviroment Pro. I think I will get>FSGenesis next. However, here are some questions.>>1) The ground textures seem blurry from low altitudes and seem>to pop into view as I fly towards them. Is this normal?>>2) I installed Ground Environment first -- Does UT overwrite>the night textures? The night city lights seem large and>blocky. I know both packages contain them.>>3) How will FS Genesis affect the first two packages and what>will I notice most with the scenery?>>FS9 w/sp1 - All sliders full right.>>Thanks.>That's normal to an extent - to what extent depends on tons of things like your settings, the speed of your hardware, etc.I don't know if it makes any difference which you install first. You should notice actual points of light with GE Pro night textures - like individual city lights and such. FS Genesis isn't scenery - it doesn't affect the other two at all. All it does is change the elevation over which the ground textures are lain and make those elevations more realistic. It doesn't change the textures. It's like if you laid a blanket over a bed or over a chair. The blanket (the texture) is still the same, but the texture (what's underneath it, giving it shape) is what has changed.

Ok, thanks. I just noticed that I do not have any auto-gen trees now? Any ideas?Thanks.

Guest merlin2

ditto to all! but also http://www.fs-freeflow.com/ these guys "rock" but get little recognition for there hard work.but get gold awards off Avsim.well worth getting and freeware.

Guest Nealoc187

>Ok, thanks. I just noticed that I do not have any auto-gen>trees now? Any ideas?>>Thanks.>>not sure, my auto gen trees work fine with fsgenesis, ge pro, and UT.

Lack of autogen - If you have UT / GE Pro, it's night lightning is the reason. See here - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...?TID=16313&PN=3Unfortunately one of those things you only hear about after you've made the purchase.Another unpleasant surprise for me was the sudden start of "out of memory" errors with UT. Now when I read the support FAQ, it almost seems it comes as "part of the package" ... disappointing.

I've had Ultimate Terrain for a while now and never realized this was an issue. Obviously it didn't bother me that much but I'll go home tonight and play with my settings, just to see how my FS9 looks now.Funny, UT gives you nice rivers and coastlines but negates autogen -- heck of a tradeoff.

It does come with a slider that allows you to adjust the more accurate roads vs autogen ratio. It is still a tradeoff though.Details in the link I earlier posted.

No one added FLIGHT DECK COMPANION (FDC). It is a MUST if you fly large pax jets. I also think the new Aerosoft Airport Enhancement services (AES) is also a MUST. I have just about everything else on everybody's list except FS Passengers and that is probably close to FDC. jerrycwo4

I don't see the slider on either the US or Canada/Alaska. I think that's only on UT/Europe.

Flight Deck Companion is AWESOME! And FREE! However, if you end up buying FSPassengers, it's probably redundant -- so I recommend one or the other. FSPassengers is where I ended up because of the automatic functionality of the co-pilot duties, and it keeps my flying less sloppy.Smooth skies!Chuck

Flight Deck Companion is AWESOME! And FREE! Where is this available for free ?

My apologies! I was confusing it with FlightDeck SFX Panel (FDSFXPNL.ZIP), found here in the AVSIM library. This was my first voyage into progressive crew enhancement add ons. Awesome.My bad.Smooth skies.Chuck B.

I've just reinstalled and this gives you some realistic perspective on what you really need and don't need. IMHO the "essentials" are below. Anything else are "nice to haves" but not necessities. I think people are confusing personal taste with mecessity. 1. ASV6 + FE2. Good mesh for your particular region (eg FSG, other good freeware meshes)3. UT: USA and EU4. GEPro, VOZ

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Thanks again. To disable night lighting -- is it done by unchecking the enhance night lights/bridge/road lights in Ultimate Terrain or using Flight Sim? Also, is there a way to have it automatically change it depending on day/night?Some other questions -- With FS Genesis mesh, can I install more detailed mesh areas over other ones. i.e. USA 38m mesh and then a northeast 19m area over that?What cloud set/theme should I use with Active Sky?Thank you.