Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeGTO

Overspeed, G-force, & aircraft breakup

Guest MikeGTO

When flying the default, MS-provided Boeing aircraft (737, 777) I find that the overspeed behavior is kind of wierd. For example, in straight and level flight, the aircraft can sometimes break up even if you slightly overspeed it (typically in the 330-350 KIAS range).Yet in a steep (40 degree) dive from higher altitude, I can often get up to 800 KIAS or more without breaking up. Why does the aircraft seem "tougher" (with respect to aero breakup) in a steep dive than it does in level flight? I can't imagine a real 777 holding together at 800 KIAS and low altitude. Is there a physical reason or is it just a quirk of the flight/damage modeling?Also, aircraft breakup seems to have little or nothing to do with the indicated G-force, as I can often pull high-g maneuvers with no ill effect, and at other times relatively docile manuevers will cause aircraft breakup.I guess I shouldn't be "pushing the envelope" with big airliners, but I just can't help myself. :-hah

Guest Jeffhew

Sadly, the default aircraft just aren't modeled that realistically. Not by a long shot. "As real as it gets" may be the MSFS mantra, but it really is the purview of third party developers. Fly safe,Jeff

>Sadly, the default aircraft just aren't modeled that>realistically. Not by a long shot. "As real as it gets" may>be the MSFS mantra, but it really is the purview of third>party developers. >The quality and exactness of default aircraft vary. And the same applies to how far out of the normal flight envelope, one wishes to go. I never go for a "blanket" assumption, when it comes to the defaults.For instance, I don't mind the default Maule & Cessna Caravan, as well as the Cub and 172's. Not perfect, but not that far off for normal flight operations. L.Adamsonedit: whoops, this the FS2004 forum. The Cub, may or may not have ground looping problems. It's a sometimes CPU hitch. The Caravan isn't as nicely rendered as the FSX model, and of course, the Maule doesn't exist. However, streatching back to FS2002; the Caravan's flight charateristics were highly questioned. Especially lightness in control. A few actual Caravan pilots thought the default wasn't too bad at all. It was also explained, that the Caravan used spoilers to assist in roll, which made it behave like a lighter 182. And yes, the default did model the spoilers.