Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullstoplanding

Deliberately crashing the aircraft!

Guest H_Kev55

My 3 year old grandson loves flying the 'firetails'. Needless to say he gets a kick out of the afterburner on an F16 that I have.He gets to see the real thing on occasion when we go to KSPI where the Illinois Air Guard are stationed and he always wants to come back to grandpa's to fly the fire tail.He's not into crashing at all, unlike his toy trains we have all over the floor. But he loves activating the landing gear..up...down...up...down.KJAvatarSaabAnimation.gif

Sometimes when my wife is in a really good mood she would push me to the side of my chair, put on my trackIR hat and takes the next leg. It normally ends in a pretty upset attitude (of the plane) within minutes. Then she would walk away and tell me to "keep having fun". Suicidal? no. Enthusiastic? no. It's just one way to bond with this dumb guy when he's glued to his sim. People naturally seek entertainment (AKA explosions in our Hollywood culture)from games. FS-style realism goes in the opposite direction of that kind of expectations. Therefore lose of interest and abandonment follow.Also I think it's safe to say more men than women are interested in flying. Last flight my wife, although a curious and energetic creature in general, slept all the way. Instead of asking to take the yoke she asked how to turn off the headset so she wouldn't have to hear all the talking with ATC.Another thought, imagine I'm checking out The Sims, a popular game among girls where you get married, build a family and a social life. I would probably say the same thing, "What the heck...boring".Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest Nealoc187

>Another thought, imagine I'm checking out The Sims, a popular>game among girls where you get married, build a family and a>social life. I would probably say the same thing, "What the>heck...boring".>>JasonThat's a good point - my first thought if I were to see someone playing the Sims would be "can you make them fight/shoot/kill eachother?" I could care less having little sim people meet others and develop relationships and whatever else they can do in that game.Flight simulators - when operated "properly" are just just outside most people's realm of interest. They don't understand all the complexities of planning/navigation/approach/departure, etc. Sitting down for 5 minutes without "something happening" in what they perceive as a "game" is pointless to them. Enroute flight is especially so.This is one of the reasons why I fly my short-medium haul aircraft much more than my long range aircraft. Enroute is boring, even when you're doing it the old fashioned way flying airways - let alone flying autopilot/gps/fmc. Departure, approach, and landing is where the fun is at for me.

Hey guys, I'm female and I don't like to crash while flying my aircraft in FS. The whole point is NOT to crash, where is the skill in that! I get great satisfaction in being able to complete a flight with a complex airliner without any mishaps, especially trying to get the best takeoffs and butter smooth landings with few errors in between. A crash just shows that you made some mistake in a procedure or need more piloting practice.I even had a collision with another aircraft (approach in the clouds, no TCAS, bad ATC) that disabled my landing gear, but I still wanted to successfully land the aircraft in one piece. In fact, I'd like to do that scenario again, but I've never been able to replicate it. I also like to play first-person shooter games, but I haven't let that mentality creep into my flight simulation, except once. That ONE time I deliberately crashed the aircraft when I was taking one of Rod's lessons and got ticked off when it terminated prematurely (several times) thanks to Microsoft's built-in short time constraint. Oops, sorry Rod, but I felt I needed to auger you in just once. :-violin Kim

>>I also like to play first-person shooter games, but I haven't>let that mentality creep into my flight simulation, except>once. That ONE time I deliberately crashed the aircraft when I>was taking one of Rod's lessons and got ticked off when it>terminated prematurely (several times) thanks to Microsoft's>built-in short time constraint. Oops, sorry Rod, but I felt I>needed to auger you in just once. :-violin >>KimI got a good laugh outta that Kim! "...I felt I needed to auger you in just once..."

My sim has a bowling ball mounted on a pendulum that releases and comes down and smacks the pilot in the head when crashes occur. Also a jaw-like clamping affair mounted near the groin area activates to help cleanse the gene pool.When I show someone the sim and they want to see a crash, I gladly seat them in the pilot's seat and let them go for it.Hey, as real as it get's, right :)

The post about "what's the attraction of a game like 'The Sims'" raised a very good point. Part of my arrangement with my wife is that I have my sim set up in the corner of the living room where we can at least see and chat with each other while I'm flying (which is almost ALL the time I'm home now). She and the kids have no interest in flight simulation but never bug me about why I do it or how much I do it. Funny thing is, she sits on the couch and watches her "Project Runway" "####'s Kitchen" and "America's Next Chef" reality shows and in between ATC instructions and flight calculations, I catch myself on the verge of making comments to her like "Why do you watch this crap?" Unbelievable.BTW, the 12 year old has tried flight simming and prefers the crash and burn route you're all talking about here, and the 16 year old has apologetically said that it wasn't really "engaging enough" for him -- but are very understanding and happy that I've finally found a hobby for myself. Before this, if I wasn't out playing golf with the boys (which I really sucked at!) it was always yard work, knocking down walls, tearing up and rebuilding bathrooms, adding decks, and redecorating rooms, with me insisting that they all help!Actually, now that I think about it they're probably more relieved than anything -- now everybody gets their weekends off! (And the house looks just fine.) :-D

I have a Confession. Many years ago when I first started flight simming, I crashed into the Twin Towers while trying to manuever between them. This was way before the actual tragedy on 9/11. What the "Heck" I figured. Since I wiped out one Landmark, I'd try for them all. As FS advanced into new versions and new landmarks, I have dive bombed and collided with them all. From the Pyramids of Egypt to The Vatican in Rome, no place has escaped my relentless search for targets to hit. I even include geographical locations, such as Mount Everest, Mt Fuji. the Dead sea, etc. It's my own Personal Guiness book of records. There isn't a Building of note, a Bridge or Landmark that is safe from the terror of Old Bill and his Super king Air in Marine Corps livery. It's like I have an alter Ego such as Superman or Batman that needs to be satisfied.Bill ;) :+ :-jumpy

Why???? The crash animations in FS9 are not even realistic looking or fun to watch!Kim

Bill:Have you ever been tempted to go after the Microsoft building in Redmond? ;-)Chuck

Thanks for the new Target! And as far as realistic crash graphics, it's an imaginary crash and the explosions are imaginary too. Bill

I have crashed everything into anything... Barrel rolls in a 767 and so forth. Its a game, you are supposed to do stupid stuff.I keep the "real" flying for my VA or go and rent a cessna at the local airport for an hour

I'll have to admit that I've been tempted to hit those 'X' shaped buildings in Redmond, especially after a few aggravating flying lessons or a 'CTD' in the middle of a long flight that took a lot of preparation.The only reason I heard of that the crash graphics are not being rendered very realistically was due to 9/11. Didn't Microsoft remove those after that? All the graphics in flight sim have been gravitating toward a more realistic look, except for the crash effects.Kim