Sign in to follow this  
huntr

Problem with 9 Dragons Scenery after installing V2

First let me say what a fantastic program 9 Dragons is and having landed there several times in the jump seat of 747, L-1011 and A 320 it is as real as it gets! Thanks to all the team who have given so much of their time skill and enthusiasm to bring this to usAfter installing V2 everything seems to be working fine - incoming traffic rather sparse - but the real problem has been the apprearance of land textures in the sea - small areas just south of the runway and on the west shore of Kowloon with larger areas between Stonecutters and CH with larger areas south of the Island and Lantau and also north of the new airportI have uninstalled, reinstalled and reinstalled and uninstalled both V1 and V2 but same problem.In between times with NO 9 Dragons sea textures are fine in the affected areas. I have been through all the Add on scenery and removed any reference to VHHH, VHHX ar HK other than 9 Dragons and removed any land class etc within a 1000 miles but still seeing the same problemDo any of the 9 Dragons team or the beta testers have any idea - was a rogue file left behind from V1 when uninstalledNo obvious problems anywhere else in the world as far as I can tellAny advice would be appreciated ThanksRichard

Hi Richard,May be indeed a rouge file but maybe not a 9Dragons file. We have had simmers with similar issues and found that it was a Chek Lap Kok texture file they missed. The issue was that the VHHH2005b landclass file was still active.This is easily missed as it is not actually in the VHHH add-on folder but for some reason, lives in the main Addon Scenery folder.C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon ScenerysceneryVHHH_LC.bglOnce this has been renamed or removed, it should be fixed if it is that particular file. Hope that works,

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thanks ClutchI had already identified and renamed that file but it has made no difference to the problem so I guess it is another rogue fileIs it correct to assume that this will be a bgl file? Or could this be a texture file?If it's any help to you in diagnosisng the problem - I did not see this with V1. I guess I should have left alone but I did uninstall and then installed V2 after which I have the problem. The sea is normal with both versions uninstalledI did have TK VHHH installed and had already uninstalled that as instructed. I also had New Baiyun installed and have uninstalled that but wonder if it could have put a file anywhere other than in Add on Scenery. Otherwise I don't think I have any land class etc within 1000 miles of HKGAny further thoughts you have would be appreciated Thanks for your help and work with a great add-on!

Ok, try this...You may still have the original HP978230.bgl and HP978240.bgl installed. 9Dragons V2 replaces them with HP978230-9D.bgl and HP978240-9D.bgl automatically but in V1 you had to do it manually. Maybe the originals are still in there as well as the 9D Versions? That would definitely cause a no-no. Check for that in the FS9/Scenery/asia/scenery folder. If they are there, move them to the 9Dragons V2/9Dragons - Backup for safe keeping.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

Thanks ClutchI have got it sorted - I meticulously went through every scenery and texture file that had been moved recently in FS9 and somehow there was a copy of generic.bgl in the FS9scenery folder as well in its'proper place in the generic folder. I erased the FS9 scenery copy and it solved the problem!!I did find that there were two copies of HK.bmp and HK_lc.bmp but I don't think these were the problem and I deleted the redundant pair? Two other questions - any advice on how to populate the North and East parking areas? I am using My Traffic and your AFCAD - should I increase the number of parking slots from the 57 allocatd in MT?? Second question relates to landing AI generally but not always coming North of the approach and landing well off the centre line - further than generally realistic though and occasionally on the grass! All take offs seem to be bang on the centre lineCurrently flying RJBB-VHHX with CX Freighter and looking forward to a Rwy 13 arrival!!Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to relive this fantastic experience!

Clutch will likely need to answer your 1st question but the following may address your second.This is a quote from Jim Vile - the man (genius) who created the curved approach technique. It comes from his readme for his original Kai Tak 98 package.quoteIf you find that your AI Planes cannot turn to final properly and miss the runway then you need to contact the designer and have them tweak there FD's to FS9 standards. FS9 does have default IMC curved approaches called LDA's in the their database. Most FDE developers never test or tweak their Flight Dynamics for these type approaches but only design toward straight in approach/flair/touchdown/braking. The larger the AI Plane (Heavies) the more sensitive the plane is for aligning to centerline of the runway. I have tested many heavy type AI aircraft and find that most use the correct approach speed to execute the final turn properly to the runway centerline.unquoteI have a variety of AI aircraft landing at VHHX and while most do make a reasonable landing, a few do stray to the left. You are not alone in that. I have not taken the time to identify which models are problematic but plan to do so in the future.Hope this helps at least explain the problem.

Thanks for that and it fits with the observation that in general the heavies are the ones most likely to be off the centre lineWill look at how I can change some of the AI modelsAppreciate your input

If you look in the '9Dragons - Goodies folder' There are different AFCADS you can use to help towards the issue of all aircraft using up the main apron. You want to use the bgls that say "random" in it. You can find more about this in your 9Dragons Pilot's Guide.

Guest andreblt

>Thanks Clutch>I have got it sorted - I meticulously went through every>scenery and texture file that had been moved recently in FS9>and somehow there was a copy of generic.bgl in the FS9scenery>folder as well in its'proper place in the generic folder. I>erased the FS9 scenery copy and it solved the problem!!I have exactly the same problem. Can you give more details about which file it was causing the problem?Regards,Andr

AndreI mentioned the file in the post - generic.bgl - It is a large file and should be in the FS9scenerygeneric folderProbably the best approach is to look at recently modified files and see if anything is duplicated or in the wrong folder - files that have been modified by 9Dragons are listed in the manual and I would look for duplicates or misplaced versions of those files firstHope you get things sorted happy flying shooting the Rwy 13 approach!!

Guest andreblt

Hello Richard,Thanks for your reply. Although I have the exactly the same phenemonom, large land textures in the sea, it seems to be caused by something different. I never installed V1. I used the auto installer of V2 for the first time. I don't have a duplicate Generic.bgl file. I have only one Generic.bgl file in the Addon Scenery9Dragons V29Dragons - Backup folder. Renaming this to .bak didn't do the trick. I looked for any other duplicate files but couldn't find any. I can't imagine we are the only ones with this problem. If anyone else has the solution to this problem I will be most grateful so I can enjoy this wonderful scenery to the fullest!regards,Andr

AndreDid you look in all the other possible scenery folders and subfolders in FS9? The file you have there is the back up original when it was replaced by the installer putting the 9Dragon version in the generic scenery subfolder. Did you do a search in FS9 for generic.bgl??I did have two other rogue files which appeared twice HK.bmp and HK_lc.bmp. However even though they were both active in two folders when I experimented with and without them it didn't seem to make a differenceI hope this helpsHappy landings!

Guest andreblt

Richard,A complete uninstall/install of the 9dragon V2 solved the problem.Don't asked why. I'm just happy it's ok now.Happy landingsAndr

Great news AndreI hope you enjoy this as much as I am enjoying it - it is so evocative of the numerous jump seat rides I had with CX and KA into Kai Tak in the 80's and 90'sHappyy landings