Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Are the ALPS Mountains this FLAT ?

I just finished installing FS Genesis FS2004 and I thought I had everything loaded correct and placed in the scenery library correct, but the ALPS in Austria look too flat and even to me. The Alps are supposed to be 19.1 m (LOD 11) and compaired to the mountains just inland from KSFO (San Francisco,CA) (32.1 m, LOD 10) they look flat as a pancake, too rounded, smooth and even. The San Francisco mountains look spectacular, but the Apps are really lack luster and make me think something is wrong with my Alps FS Genesis install or scenery library order (priority number) placement.I have inclosed a screen shot of the lackluster Alps, with position, altitude and heading. Would someone who has FS Genesis FS2004 installed please go to that position and compare your mountains with the screenshot of my mountains that I have inclosed. If possible, PLEASE include a screenshot of your mountains. Thanks for your help. jerrycwo4

Jerry,Have you changed the TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL= setting in your FS9.cfg file? Default value is 19, try changing it to 20 or 21 and see if it makes a difference.mad dog,"FSgenesis mesh is installed in the installers default location ofFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldscenery, and is not declared in the scenery.cfg."Yes it is declared in the scenery.cfg file. If you open the scenery library in the sim, and scroll down to the bottom, the first entry is "default terrain". In your scenery.cfg file, by default, AREA.001 should be[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainTexture_ID=1Layer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUELocal=SceneryWorldRemote=

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

HelloYes i am aware that the Default terrain is already declared in the scenery.cfgThe point i was making is that if you let the installer put the bgl's in the SceneryWorldscenery directory there is no need to enter FSgenesis mesh explicitly in the scenery.cfg, and also no need to worry about mesh prioritys.Still it is good that there are pedantic people like yourself around to offer us help and guidance.

WOW! WOW!! What a differance! I knew that something was wrong but I still do not know what. I tried moving the Scenery Library location of the Genesis Europe/Africa to differant location up and down the scenery library position etc from top to bottom to middle etc , but it did not seem to make any differance. Then I decided to only install the Europe/Africa DVD to it's default location of "scenery/world/scenery" and POW, what a differane it made!! The mountains in other parts of the world seem to be OK that's why I'm baffeled that only the Europe/Africa DVD didn't seem to come out right. I may try taking the Europe/Africa mesh out of the "Add-on scenery" file and deleting it from the scenery library to see what happens. Then I might REINSTALL all of the Genesis Mesh to it's default location. The reason that I did not do it before was so that I could have more control (add/delete) it as necessary. Thanks to all who gave me input on this matter. Thanks, jerrycwo4

Man, you're right...they (your attachment)actually look like foot-hills to me.That can't be a correct depiction! Something must be wrong with the data that is rendering that.Mitch

Mitch, look at the differance in the BEFORE and the AFTER screenshots. The 1st one looks like the foot hills of Tennesee and the 2nd one (same location) really looks like the ALPS> jerrycwo4