Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

Is there a method to minimize/reduce the elevation differences between airports and surrounding terrain?

Guest Nealoc187

like the title says, is there a way that we can reduce the elevation differences between the surrounding terrain mesh and the airport surface? i'm tired of landing on plateaus but even more tired of looking at them as I'm departing/arriving. part of the fun for me is the view and having airports sticking way up in the air or sunk way down in the ground is getting on my nerves. I'm using the freeware FSGenesis mesh available here on avsim for my terrain mesh.neal

It can be done - involves several programs (at least the way I have done it). It works but the end result is that you have an airport with an incorrect elevation (from the real world elevation). Is that what you want?From what I have been able to determine, the elevations in many Mesh offerings is not always "on the mark" and thus you see some airports sitting on plateaus or somewhat depressed.It seems to be a "catch 22" situation.

I feel your pain. The mesh is very nice, but I have un-installed a lot of it because of this problem. My home airport is ridiculous. I bought some payware thinking that the effect would be reduced, but it wasn't. :(Scott

There's always FSX :). The FSG mesh for that is being revised with "holes" at airports so that the default mesh "shows through" which seems to have been pre-processed by MS to eliminate plateaus.scott s..