Sign in to follow this  
Guest redp51

FS2004 & The World of AI

In my humble opinion, the free Traffic Toolbox from MS is the best way to watch and follow traffic - up to approx 128 nm from your location.It is one of SDK's and the link to it can be found at this site:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857Unzip and install the TrafficToolbox SDK anywhere and then place the TrafficToolbox.dll into your modules folder. You will then a have a new tab at the top of your FS2004 screen (windowed mode) named Tools.You can AI traffic levels from it and see and watch any aircraft which is active in your area.I find it indispensible.

Guest Jagndeke

>In my humble opinion, the free Traffic Toolbox from MS is the>best way to watch and follow traffic - up to approx 128 nm>from your location.>>It is one of SDK's and the link to it can be found at this>site:>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857>>Unzip and install the TrafficToolbox SDK anywhere and then>place the TrafficToolbox.dll into your modules folder. You>will then a have a new tab at the top of your FS2004 screen>(windowed mode) named Tools.>>You can AI traffic levels from it and see and watch any>aircraft which is active in your area.>>I find it indispensible.>>>>This doesn't seem to work with Vista. I DL'd the software, installed it, then place the .dll file in the module folder. Then from within FS9 I accessed tools>Traffic>>view but nothing came up. I also tried tools>traffic and the other options but again nothing came up into view.Anyone else have this working with Vista?Cheers,Jag

Are you running FS in windowed mode?Traffic Explorer will open up in a new window behind FS, so you need to be in windowed mode and not maximized to see it.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

On my XP system, the Traffic Toolbox utility will often minimize itself to the tray at the bottom of the screen rather than come into view.I just click once or twice on it and it then comes up in front of the FS display - of course you have to be in windowed mode to do any of this.Hope that helps.

Guest Jagndeke

It works fine guys. I got in a rush this morning to try it out before going to work and I failed to clearly read Opa's note that it had to run in windowed mode. Just tried it in that mode and it works fine.Thanks all.Cheers,Jag

Guest redp51

>On my XP system, the Traffic Toolbox utility will often>minimize itself to the tray at the bottom of the screen rather>than come into view.>>I just click once or twice on it and it then comes up in front>of the FS display - of course you have to be in windowed mode>to do any of this.>>Hope that helps.>>I got the Ctrl + W going as per 4D instructions - but did notice a frame rate hit when following an AI aircraft in full screen. Have also downloaded Traffic Toolbox & got the 'Tools' tab up. It bursts to : Settings, Explorer, Map & Dump Airport List.I have been able to Dump Airports & Open the Traffic map & Traffic Explorer.Unsure how to use it the Tool Box properly - so any pointers on basic steps would be appreciated. [eg, how to select & follow an aircraft.]ThanksRP>>

To me, the two most useful functions are the Settings and Explorer options.With Settings you can quickly change the type and percentage of AI which is use and also turn on labels and various portions of the label display. Normally you would have to exit the flying screen to make such changes so this is a very useful option.The Explorer function displays the state of all AI aircraft which is active in the area.The various "states" include sleep, taxi-out takeoff, enroute, pattern, landing and taxi-in. It also shows the estimated departure and arrival times as well as the airports involved.The current sim time is displayed at the top of the Explorer dialogue.You can also see which Traffic file the aircraft is being controlled by.By left clicking on any aircraft you are immediately taken to a spot view of that aircraft. Then you can use your hat switch or keyboard to manipluate the view.If you Right click on a specific aircraft you are presented with more options. One is "allow user input" (or words to that effect). If the aircraft is airborne (enroute) it is fun to select that option and divert the aircraft to a nearby airport (you fly it in spot view), It can a real challenge to land an aircraft from this vantage point!That is just a brief overview of how I use the utility.Experiment and have fun!PS - take the time to review the documentation which comes with the utility - at least give it a quick scan as much of what I outlined above is covered.

Guest redp51

>To me, the two most useful functions are the Settings and>Explorer options.>edited for brevity.>>Experiment and have fun!>>PS - take the time to review the documentation which comes>with the utility - at least give it a quick scan as much of>what I outlined above is covered.okWill try thatthanks for yr assistance.RP