Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

AI Takeoff Sound

Any reason I shouldn't hear an AI jet when it takes off right in front of me, either while I'm next for departure or waiting to cross the active on my way to the gate? Is this normal behavior for FS9 or is there a .wav file I'm missing?I use mainly World of AI and Project AI.Thanks in advance.

You may want to read the article in Issue Number 11 of my Tips and Tricks series.The issue of AI sound and how it can be tweaked is discussed.I believe the file name is tips_and_tricks_11.zip here at Avsim.I would provide a direct link to it but access to the library is malfunctioning as I write this.Hope this helps.

PS -If the Avsim library is down for an extended period you can find all of the Tips and Tricks series (24 issues in all) at Flightsim.com.The file name in question there is tandt11.zip

Thanks, David. GREAT article and files -- thank you!I had found your article previously and read it on Friday. I spent a good deal of time on Saturday installing all of the files and making the change to all my AI Aircraft aircraft.cfg files (all 120 or so!) as directed. I still don't seem to get any volume from the AI taking off, though. I have my environment volume slider up to 100% (maximum).Should I load up the .wav files into Audacity to crank up the volume? If so, do you know which ones?Also, what exactly *does* the tchdwn_fx file do? Is it just as it's name implies?

To be perfectly honest it has been a year or more since I first wrote that article and I have reinstalled FS several times so currently my setup does not have the enhanced AI sounds installed.If you have made backups of the original files I would go ahead and experiment with raising the volume level with your sound editing program and see how it works.Nothing ventured - nothing gained.I assume the tchdwn_fx file does as the name implies - but that response is from memory which at times is faulty.

>Any reason I shouldn't hear an AI jet when it takes off right>in front of me, either while I'm next for departure or waiting>to cross the active on my way to the gate? Is this normal>behavior for FS9 or is there a .wav file I'm missing?>>I use mainly World of AI and Project AI.>>Thanks in advance.>Hello ThereThere are various AI sound enhancement files here at AVSIM.Just type AI sounds and search FS2004 Sounds (surprisingly).By the way the problem i find with turning up the environment level to full(which i have also tried) is you are then deafened in your cockpit.cheers AndyPS try moving in spot mode as near as you can to the ai aircraft that is taking of as i have found the aircrafts sound can get really quite loud then.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Thanks, Andy. That was the first thing I did, but most of those changes require changes to ALL AI aircraft.cfg files -- and I have about 120. I thought before I did all that I would ask if my system's behavior was atypical or the norm for FS9.May I ask if you can clearly hear an AI jet taking off right in front of you, like you would in the cockpit of a real jetliner? I was holding to cross on my way to the gate when an MD80 took off right in front of me and it was as silent as a church mouse. I then realized I hadn't remembered hearing any AI takeoff sound before in my FS9.FYI, since the file library had so many problems this weekend, I ended up using David Marshalls "Tips and Tricks" (see posts above) that I had found and downloaded last week -- those changes ended up taking me about 2 hours to make -- and next time I'll ask someone here for verbiage for a .bat file or something first!It hasn't turned out exactly the way I wanted it to, mainly due to the issues with turning up the environment slider all the way that you mention. I have a pretty bad case of tinnitis from listening to too much rock music in the 70s, so my hearing is a whacked anyway and all that monotonous backgroun noise makes my ears hurt even more.

>Thanks, Andy. That was the first thing I did, but most of>those changes require changes to ALL AI aircraft.cfg files -->and I have about 120. I thought before I did all that I would>ask if my system's behavior was atypical or the norm for FS9.>>May I ask if you can clearly hear an AI jet taking off right>in front of you, like you would in the cockpit of a real>jetliner? I was holding to cross on my way to the gate when>an MD80 took off right in front of me and it was as silent as>a church mouse. I then realized I hadn't remembered hearing>any AI takeoff sound before in my FS9.>>FYI, since the file library had so many problems this weekend,>I ended up using David Marshalls "Tips and Tricks" (see posts>above) that I had found and downloaded last week -- those>changes ended up taking me about 2 hours to make -- and next>time I'll ask someone here for verbiage for a .bat file or>something first!>>It hasn't turned out exactly the way I wanted it to, mainly>due to the issues with turning up the environment slider all>the way that you mention. I have a pretty bad case of>tinnitis from listening to too much rock music in the 70s, so>my hearing is a whacked anyway and all that monotonous>backgroun noise makes my ears hurt even more.AH! a misspent youth.......By the way i have used these AI update sounds and i didn't have to do any altering of the AI aircrafts CFGs but to be honest they didn't seem to make any real difference to AI aircraft takeoff sounds.As a final thought though i have quite often used my soundblaster wave file editor to reduce or increase various files in FS9, for instance callouts that would almost have me hit the ceiling they where so loud ie 500 400 etc these altitude callouts are often deafening in comparison to the other FS sounds,so if you can alter these sounds you can probably find the relevant AI sound files in your main sound folder and increase the volume of these as well.Actually thats not a bad idea i may try myself.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

One other thought --Be sure to check the volume level for wav files in your system's Sound dialogue.There is a screen which allows you to set the volume levels or even mute individual sound types.Might be worth a look see.

Or, the freeware "Audacity" is an awesome sound editor.If you find the relevant AI takeoff .wav file before me, would you mind posting/emailing/IMing me the relevant file name?Thanks, Andy. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

Are you kidding? I grew up with Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin -- all those system sound sliders are max'ed! :-lol Thanks, David.

Hi,Let's be clear about this - FS9 does not support changing sounds on takeoff (or any other phase of AI flight). You will hear a monotonous droning/idle sound at all times. It will get louder as you get closer to the plane, but that's it.There was an addon called FSHotSFX that gave FS9 real AI sounds, but since it's no longer supported by the developers I don't suggest it anymore.FSX will give AI aircraft dynamically changing sounds.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

>Let's be clear about this - FS9 does not support changing>sounds on takeoff (or any other phase of AI flight). You will>hear a monotonous droning/idle sound at all times. It will>get louder as you get closer to the plane, but that's it.That's better than the nothing I hear when a plane is taking off right in front of me.So, Tom, simulated doppler shift aside, you're saying there is no specific .wav file for AI takeoffs? And no matter how much I turn the volume up on the wav file using sound editing I'll most likely have no joy in this area?>>There was an addon called FSHotSFX that gave FS9 real AI>sounds, but since it's no longer supported by the developers I>don't suggest it anymore.For anyone reading this in the future, FSHotSFX also messses with FSUIPC and Radar Contact v4.3 ATC callsigns.

For AI aircraft in FS9, there is a single sound that is played continuously from the time it starts its engines to the time they are stopped. You will hear a doppler shift as it goes by along with an increase/decrease in volume, but it will still be that single sound playing all the time. There will be no increase in sound volume as it starts its takeoff roll - if you are right beside it, it will still sound the same as when it was taxiing before takeoff.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___