Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

New HD coming. What should I do with FS9?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hey guys Im about to order a new Samsung 500GB hard drive since FS9 has pretty much gobbled up most of my existing HD (12GB remaining).I was just wondering how I should set things up? Right now I have these options on my mind. Which would you say gives best results? 1.Move FS9 (and all other programs) onto the new HD..leaving just Windows on the old drive2.Move *ONLY* FS9 to the new drive3.Use Acronis to image the old drive and dump *everything* onto the new one - leaving the old HD as a storage drive. I would really appreciate hearing from those of you who have multiple drives. How have you got your sim set up? Also I recall that putting the "page file" on a physically seperate drive is a good thing?Thanks :)

Hi I do the page file move, but also have moved the addon scenery and scenery folders to a different physical disc so in affect disc stripping these. The scenery.cfg file has to be altered to reflect this too. Also I found that some UK2000 extreme sceneries produce the dreaded black box if not in the same drive as the fs9.exe file so leave these where they are. Hope this helpsRegardsRen

I've always had...Drive 1C: OS (around 15Gb)D: PageFile (around 10Gb)E: Program FilesF: Games/OtherDrive 2:G: FS9H: FSX (if required)Letters will vary. Drive 1 as your new drive/ Drive 2 as your old smaller one.But this is how I recommend you set up. Backup all your FS away to an external drive. Then wipe/reformat/repartition/reinstall everything.Forget "moving" - things get really weird and tangled up if you try that.Not saying my way is the only way, but it has worked for me. Speaking of, I'm about due to do it all again.. fun!

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest ThrottleUp

-------------------------------------------------------------------Forget "moving" - things get really weird and tangled up if you try that.-------------------------------------------------------------------That did cross my mind I have to admit. Say I did go for a fresh FS9 install - how do I deal with the AddOn Scenery folder? Should I just save the current scenery.cfg and plant it into the new FS9 installation? If nothings changed in the Addon Scenery folder it should be good right?

I would do the following:Leave the os on the old drive.Create two partitions on the new drive - 1 small one (5GB) for page file and the other would be the remaining space for FS.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest rwrea

I would keep OS and Page File on drive C: amd put FS on the new drive.I read somewhere...the Page File should always be with the OS.Just my 2 cents.

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks guys! Im about to place the order for the new HD. After much thinking I have decided to:1. Use Acronis to backup *only* the FS9 installation2. Backup all other vital files3. Wipe & reformat the old HD4. Fresh-install Windows on the old HD & create a partition for the page file5. Install all other programs to the old HD6. The new HD will be *exclusively* for FS9 & FSXThanks again for all your thoughts and advice on this, it really helped. Will feel good to see all that free space and not have to worry about "What to get rid off to make more room" anymore :(