Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Radeon 9700 and Shimmering Textures

I'm getting some shimmering with textures--not just trees. Not real bad but I was wondering if others were also getting this.Settings: AA 8X, AF 16X, Textures=High Quality, Mipmapping=Quality (not High Quality), Trueform=Off, using Catalyst 3.1 driversComputer specs: Athlon 1.4, 384mb DDR, KT266Other than some shimmering, image quality and performance is excellent. Again, I'm just wondering if others are getting this as well. Thanks.Randall

Hi Randall,I get the shimmering textures as well. Running the 9700 pro with 16x AF and 4x AA. I had them with my old GeForce card also, so I have learned to live with them. Kind of drove me crazy at first, but I can put up with them for the excellent image quality and performance I get.Kyle

Guest Bigshot

I had some in the trees at first till I figured out that changing 16xAF Quality to Performance and lowering the mipmap from HQ to quality took care of 99 percent of it. I still see a little bit in the tree tops, but it's very little. And yes, I'm still running the CD6166 drivers cause I'm afraid to change. It's working oh so good and I don't even want to mess it up. Try running your mesh at 90 percent and change planes. See if it's still there. I'm of the opinion that aliasing begins when a card nears it maximum capabilities. I first noticed that with my old Nvidia card. The more I stressed it, the more aliasing I saw.

Thanks for the response. I am enjoying the image quality and performance very much so this is not a big issue--just wondering. I hadn't thought about "maxing out" the 9700 in FS2002 since it doesn't seem to slow down with everything turned on, but maybe some faster settings might help. Still, it's all a very small problem. Thanks again.