Sign in to follow this  
Guest 28right

Cabin Lights Only On with Landing Lights?

Guest 28right

I have a few add-on commercial aircraft where the passenger cabin lights only come on when the landing lights are on. Other aircraft have the cabin lights always illuminated or otherwise seaparate from the landing lights.Question is, can the cabin lights be disconnected from the landing lights in some way so they will stay lit when the landing lights are turned off?I suspect there may be a way because I've played around with switching night textures between similar aircraft and found that texture #1 on said aircraft will have cabin lights illuminated without landing lights and texture #2 will not ON THE VERY SAME AIRCRAFT. So, I think it may somehow be written into the texture and not the aircraft itself.Any insights?Thanks28rightPS- then there's the issue of tail logo lights. The newer Posky V4 747's have the logo lights going out when the landing lights come on. Is this right? I also have a few aircraft where only on side of the tail is illuminated for some reason.

I am curious about this as well. I have always thought that it was built in to the .mdl.Of course, it would be better to leave the landing lights on and the cabin lights off at the same time.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Usually on the commercial planes you have to control these all yourself. They don't always ALL come on by using the L key for lights.Go to your payware aircrafts overhead panel and look for the light switches as you probably have to turn them on individually yourself.Just a thought.Thanks.Paul.

Guest LeeWang

Yeap, the window lights are tied into the night textures. If you want the cabin lights to be on all the time, then you have to add the alpha channel to the night texture. See this post: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=37153&page=13Download this program: http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm to view you're alpha channel. You can use this program to import the missing alpha as well.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184953.jpgWhat you can do, is export the Alpha from a night texture of an aircraft that has the cabin lights on all the time, and then import the alpha into the texture that is missing the alpha.Lee

Guest 28right

OK, thanks for the responses so far!I kind'a know what you are saying about the alpha channel stuff.....sort of.I have a program where I can view it too.I'll play around with it and see what I can do.

>OK, thanks for the responses so far!>>I kind'a know what you are saying about the alpha channel>stuff.....sort of.>>I have a program where I can view it too.>>I'll play around with it and see what I can do.>>HelloLee is exactly right.I know because he helped me solve this exact same issue(Thanks Lee bye the way) .The program he describes(DXTBmp) is the one you want and although i haven't worked out all its functions yet, i worked out enough to change my aircraft so that they displayed cabin lights that didn't have to linked to landing lights(Bloomin irritating that)So fiddle and although Rome wont burn your aircraft should fly with cabin lights on above ten thousand when of course your landing lights are off.cheers AndyThink Alpha channel

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I have 2 POSky 757-300's. One is Delta Airlines, it works great, the passenger cabin, logo and Cockpit lights stay on as long as the NAV light switch is on. The other is a United-Continental 757-300. With this one, the passenger cabin, logo & cockpits lights all go off when I turn off the LANDING lights. I tried copying the [LIGHTS] and [ELECTRICAL] sections of the aircraft.cfg file from Delta to United, that didn't work. Then I took the UA texture folder and copied it into the Delta folder. I added the UA plane to the aircraft.cfg file and added a new B757-300-RR-RB211-535E4C.air file since the UA plane had RR engines. I tried this, same results. I know on most aircraft, the lights work properly at night. I also know the cabin and logo lights do work on the United plane, but only with LANDING light switch on.

First, you need to check if the model has "holes" for windows, or are the windows painted on.  If "holes", then the lighting may be in the model, unless it is the interior textures that are lighting up (as opposed to a diffuse glow).  If the interior textures, see below.

If painted on, then your United night textures need to have a black alpha channel where the cabin windows are located in the day texture. 

If the window pattern is identical between the DAL and UAL schemes, you could try copying the DAL night textures into the UAL folder (backup first).

Larry, in the future please start a new thread instead of resurrecting a seven year old thread. Thank you.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator