Sign in to follow this  
edemeijer

Some help wanted with FS9!

I can see it. Think about when you are at the movies (even on DVDs at home) and the picture pans from left to right slowly - it jerks. That could be improved by more FPS. To my brain, 24 fps is good in FS9 but when I set it to 30 I can notice a difference in smoothness when panning. I don't use unlimited fps except to see what difference changes I make impacted the system because it causes strange behavior. edemeijer, I am going to seek that tutorial you mentioned because I think I tried everything in the book to get the latest nVidia drivers to have outside AA. I must have missed it. You never did post which drivers you are using on your 8800GTS. Do you mind telling?

Several years ago I read an article on this topic reporting that at afilm industry demonstration, an expert audience was fooled into believing that a motion picture film was the real thing. The film was running in excess of 70 fps PLUS the projection system utilized very high intensity illumination.Ordinary TV runs, I believe at a 30 fps equivalent and a fast moving object like an airborne hockey puck still has a visible "chatter".Before Video, Newsreel film ran at 24 fps and home movies ran at 16. The latter was considered a marvel of consumer technology back in the 50s- but a child running rapidly across the screen also exhibited a distinct "chatter".Obviously we simmers have a long way to go before achieving reality!Before you scrap your present computer, consider however, that most of FS scenery really doesn't move very quickly- other than on takeoff and landing- and then it's only quite nearby scenery/objects: a hangar a 1/2 mile away has a fairly slow progression across the screen as you rotate! Alex Reid

I believe you are correct, Alex. Refresh rate on a TV (in the US) is 60Hz interlaced, or 30fps. I think Europe is different but not sure. The source may not be 30Hz. I thought movie theaters used 24fps as a standard. Oh well.

Dolph- we also need to remember that movie films are shown as a whole frame at a time whereas computers generate images a line at a time. So while there is some comparability there are also significant differences.My best advice is turn off the red FPS counter- if the view and motion seem OK to ones eyes over a variety of scenery and weather, then that's all you need!!Alex Reid

Best buy uses BluRay DVD players to show off their TVs. If you don't have BluRay, you'll lose some of that amazing picture quality that you see in the store because TV is not yet broadcast at that standard (and may not be for a very long time to come).